SOLVED Can't get default browser to change

Reaction score
I need to change the default browser but the Settings/default browser button isn't doing the job. I click on "choose default apps", then "Web Browser" and "choose a default". Several options come up, including the one I want, but selecting it doesn't do anything. The screen stays the same. And the default browser stays what it was. I have tried rebooting, closing the browser window, none of those things helped.

Could it be a virus? I have an anti-virus running on the machine, but scanning with that did not turn up anything helpful.

Any more ideas?
Thanks!

Reaction score
That box in Settings doesn't seem to work well. If you want Chrome or Firefox as your default then go the browser's set up page under their settings. That works. I don't know how to get IE as the default as I never use it.

Reaction score
I use the default section of the Control Panel. Has worked so far. But, curious, what path are you using to get the results you post?
"Settings/default browser button isn't doing the job. I click on "choose default apps", then "Web Browser" and "choose a default"

I have nothing similar??

Eg:

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. We're at a loss here. REALLY need Chrome to be THE default.

I've tried a couple of paths: start button, settings, system, default apps, web browser. Does nothing.
Also, when I load Google Chrome, a window pops up and asks if I want to make Chrome the default. Clicking yes brings me back to the settings window I just referenced. No go.
Third, as Tim Locke suggested, I went into the settings for the browser, and default browser at the bottom of the screen. That appears to take me back to the settings screen I was looking at before. Still no go.

Any other ideas?

Contemplating reinstalling Windows 10. Drastic step and would necessitate re-setting up lots of stuff, but if it works to make Chrome the default, it will be worth it.

Reaction score
So you have tried the control panel, as I suggested?
Also try this in the Chrome browser.:
Browse to the Tools menu -> and select Options. Select the “Basics” tab, and in the “Default browser” section, click the button labelled “Make Google Chrome my default browser.”
Click “close”
Save your changes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave, we are using the same Chrome Browser? am using 50.0.2661.57 beta-m (64-bit) and I don't have a tools menu,

I use hamburger at far right click settings and I get a page of setting stuff with 'advanced settings' at the bottom which opens a 2nd page of settings.

Reaction score
So you have tried the control panel, as I suggested?
Also try this in the Chrome browser.:
Browse to the Tools menu -> and select Options. Select the “Basics” tab, and in the “Default browser” section, click the button labelled “Make Google Chrome my default browser.”
Click “close”
Save your changes.
Sorry, I can't find the Tools and Options that you referenced. I have the three horizontal bars to the immediate right of the address box, and in there I can find Settings, but no Basics. Would be a fairly recent version of Chrome, probably the most recent version.

Reaction score
I think that Dave is running some different version of Chrome, perhaps an older 32 bit version.

At the bottom of that settings page you see there should a section to set the default browser to Chrome.

Reaction score
I,m not actually running Chrome - just trying to remember from my old cells! Obviously too old.

Reaction score
Later. Just installed Chrome and set it as the default through the Control Panel - Default Programs. It didn't, for me, seem to be a problem, so the plot thickens.

Reaction score
DH fixed it, got the default browser to change after deleting and redownloading/reinstalling the browser. He took a slightly different path, Start/settings/system/default apps. Now this is where it got different: instead of using the Default Browser button, he scrolled to the bottom of the screen and clicked on Set Defaults by App, setting several defaults while he was at it. That worked where the other approaches did not.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to try to help me/us with this conundrum. I have no idea why the buttons were not working the way they were supposed to, but am glad that it only took one day (using up several hours) to find a solution.

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. We're at a loss here. REALLY need Chrome to be THE default.

I've tried a couple of paths: start button, settings, system, default apps, web browser. Does nothing.
Also, when I load Google Chrome, a window pops up and asks if I want to make Chrome the default. Clicking yes brings me back to the settings window I just referenced. No go.
Third, as Tim Locke suggested, I went into the settings for the browser, and default browser at the bottom of the screen. That appears to take me back to the settings screen I was looking at before. Still no go.

Any other ideas?

Contemplating reinstalling Windows 10. Drastic step and would necessitate re-setting up lots of stuff, but if it works to make Chrome the default, it will be worth it.
The problem of changing default browser away from Edge, is a bug in the latest version of windows 17868. There is no fix yet (as of 6/11/18)

Reaction score
The OP's problem was solved two years ago and marked as solved. But I read in more recent posts, that it is still a problem with recent updates.
However, I see that this refers to an insider release. Better if you post your comment in the insider section, so members are not too confused.
Fwiw. I am an Edge user, by default. After reading your two posts, before I realised you were refrring to insider builds, I changed my default in the regular builds to IE. I had a couple of popups suggesting that I change to Edge, both of which I rejected. I have restarted a few times, but IE remains my default.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The problem , is with the NEW Creative InsiderUpdate 17686, and it is no longer SOLVED, it is a problem with this update.

Ask a Question