Can't set Default Browser

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Preview Build 14291_release.16314-2234 and this morning was the first time I tried to follow a link. I was confronted with a dialog asking which browser I wanted to use and if I wanted to use it all the time. I normally use IE11 so I selected it and IE launched to the right location as expected. Unfortunately, the next time I selected a link it came up with the same message as if not remembering my default. I tried setting it through control panel and the same problem.

I tried Microsoft Edge and it would not become default either and I was greeted with a blank black screen every time I tried to follow a link.

The only browser that would work as default was Google Chrome. I've tried everything but only Google Chrome will work as my default and Microsoft with a blank black screen when trying to follow a link, but even then it will not become my default. Any idea?

Also, both Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 launch ok from the Tiled Screen (not the normal start screen)

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was able to choose the default programs this way:
Settings > System > Default apps (on the list at the left, 2nd from the bottom)

Scroll down to 'Web browser' and you should be able to click on the installed browser of your choice.

Reaction score
I was able to choose the default programs this way:
Settings > System > Default apps (on the list at the left, 2nd from the bottom)

Scroll down to 'Web browser' and you should be able to click on the installed browser of your choice.

It shows as you described, already showing IE but it asks me again every time. Acts like not being set as default but actually is. Still same symptoms.

Michael

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the build on my physical machine. Had previously been running it in a VM.
I tried to duplicate your issue and found that IF...
I went to Control Panel, select "Default Programs", then selected "Set your default programs", selected Internet Explorer from the left column and then clicked "Set this program as default" resulting in "this program has all its' defaults" and clicked OK. Whenever I clicked a link in my mail program, in opened in Internet Explorer.

NOTE: Since this thread involves the use of a Preview Build, I've taken the liberty of moving it into the Preview sub-forum.

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the build on my physical machine. Had previously been running it in a VM.
I tried to duplicate your issue and found that IF...
I went to Control Panel, select "Default Programs", then selected "Set your default programs", selected Internet Explorer from the left column and then clicked "Set this program as default" resulting in "this program has all its' defaults" and clicked OK. Whenever I clicked a link in my mail program, in opened in Internet Explorer.

NOTE: Since this thread involves the use of a Preview Build, I've taken the liberty of moving it into the Preview sub-forum.

I tried exactly your instructions and never remembers my default. Could there be something amiss in my email program? I use Outlook 2010. If I use the mail program that comes with Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 opens every time. I can copy a link to Microsoft Word and then do a cntrl click on the link and it immediately launch IE11. Only seems to be failing when clicking a link in an email when using Outlook 2010.

Michael

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Mike, I gave up fighting it. I made Edge my default browser and the pop-ups stopped. I use Firefox with no problems.

Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you were able to find something that worked for you.
Thanks for the follow-up info and reporting your experience.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question