What can the Control Panel do that Settings can't?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
With each major update, the Control Panel gets further relegated - to the extent that most users won't even know it exists anymore (unless they search for it or go to "advanced" options in the settings panel).

I still occasionally access it for some things, but mainly because I'm familiar with that method from W7>W8>W10. For example, if I want to change power settings.

Is there anything that can't be done via Settings (even at a basic level), where we need to access the Control Panel instead? I'm surprised that Settings hasn't taken over to a greater extent already.

Reaction score
Although MS seems to be moving users away from the control panel and to use settings exclusively, the control panel was the place to go to, everything at your fingertips, listed alphabetically. Win 10 settings to me is kind of clumsy to navigate compared to the C.P.
I find settings easier to navigate by just typing what I'm looking for in the search dialog box.
Prior to the Creator update, I couldn't use Windows search feature if I wasn't connected to the Internet. The update resolved that burning issue. :)

Reaction score
I access the control panel usually from the bottom of the Apps page or the Network and Sharing center.

If you want to uninstall a program, the Programs and Features panel is in the Control Panel although you can get there directly.

The control panel is where I go if I can't find something any other place. Sometimes, finding something is the Settings takes quite a search process.

Reaction score
Yes I still use control panel pretty much for everything. Some setting are just as easy using setting a lot aren't. I access it as I always have since I use Classic Shell on all my computers and use Local accounts

Reaction score
I use Control Panel quite a lot. I pinned it to my start page so it would be more accessible. Still use settings some times just to get the feel of them in case MS decides to do away with CP all together.

Bif

Reaction score
I'm an old school CP user simply out of habit and familiarity, but been getting cozy with the Windows Search feature.. like Norton I have CP pinned to Start and Taskbar.

Reaction score
Not mentioned so far, but I am sure all are aware. The CP is still in the Start menu, under "Windows System" I also have it pinned as a shortcut on my desktop, and, in the initial stage of new install, use it as a preference.
I find, working through the Windows of the "System- Advanced settings" saves a lot of fumbling through the new settings options.

Whilst it can be accessed through the sub-settings, two levels down, for those users, the Dell touchpad program is more comprehensive from the CP.

Whilst I am very familiar with the new settings, I confess that I find the CP easier to navigate, even including using the search features.

Reaction score
Yes! I have the CP pinned to my start menu and the taskbar.
same here. For me it is much easier to navigate and some settings I can only find in the C.P. I do not like the settings, it takes away the control over the pc due to its minimal functions.....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My understanding was that they (Microsoft) intended to completely deprecate and do away with the Control Panel and all of its' applets.
My guess is, that if they do, the "Settings" area will become a nightmare to navigate and find what you're looking for.

Reaction score
My understanding was that they (Microsoft) intended to completely deprecate and do away with the Control Panel and all of its' applets.
My guess is, that if they do, the "Settings" area will become a nightmare to navigate and find what you're looking for.
You are right about that and I am NOT looking forward to it......

Reaction score
Hello! MS I hope you're listening. From the response to Ian's post "Control Panel" who doesn't like the old format. It's another case of Ms wagging the dogs tail AGAIN! :mad:

Reaction score
Hmm! Am I missing something?
I was just playing around in the Windows Control panel "View All" and noticed for the first time a new menu item. "Allow Apps to communicate through Firewall"
My question is, Can I, should I uncheck the many apps that seem to be checked by default. I've never heard of most them or no intentions of using the many MS Apps. If I disallow them to communicate through the firewall Will it reflect on how my system operates. To me it seems like a back door for viruses. Am I being paranoid.

Attachments

• CP.PNG
    CP.PNG
    35.2 KB · Views: 613
Reaction score
In case no one has noticed, some of my Fonts changed after the last update. If you want to do something with fonts, where do you go? The Control Panel comes to mind...

Reaction score
Saltgrass Yes its in the ctrl panel. Alternate try typing Fonts in the windows search.

Reaction score
I was just playing around in the Windows Control panel "View All" and noticed for the first time a new menu item. "Allow Apps to communicate through Firewall"
My question is, Can I, should I uncheck the many apps that seem to be checked by default. I've never heard of most them or no intentions of using the many MS Apps. If I disallow them to communicate through the firewall Will it reflect on how my system operates. To me it seems like a back door for viruses. Am I being paranoid.

I cannot, in my cp, see an option "View All". Dunno why.
But, the firewall exception, has been around a while, and is under the "Firewall" icon,. On my computers, they are all on by default. I would prefer to leave them that way.

Bif

Reaction score
I've also noticed this since you've mentioned it, now I'm suspicious as well.. but it certainly does seem like it wound be an open door for many things!
Following this one!

Ask a Question