Why does control panel not work any more

Reaction score
When I bring up Control Panel and click on an icon it closes and disappears. No way to delete programs, scan documents via the control panel, etc., etc. Did one of the mysterious Windows 10 updates, that I cannot stop from messing up my PC continually, do something to change my control panel function?? Getting tired of W10 continually making changes with no notification and we cannot say NO.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep... mine too.
As far as I know, Windows 10 hasn't made any recent changes to the Control Panel except porting a couple applets over into the "Settings" panel, which shouldn't be responsible for crashing / closing Control Panel as you describe.
It sounds more like perhaps either a third party program might be responsible, in which case you might try Clean Booting the system and test
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.

Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

OR
Possibly something corrupt in your user profile.
You might try using or creating and then using another local account that is a member of the local administrators group and use that to test to see if you experience the same problem with that account.

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me several years ago in Windows 7 Pro. A friend told me there was some "bad stuff" floating around so I tool PC to his Computer Repair shop where they booted up with an antivirus repair disk.Sure enough they found rootkit and virus activity. One of them turned off Control Panel to hide / protect themselves. Everything else seemed OK , just slower than usual.
Anyone here know a good antivirus boot Disk ? And would it hurt to try?

Ask a Question