Can't set default browser - and more

Reaction score
This is strange :
(I use a Swedish version so I have to use my translations for the different settings)

If I go to Settings->System->Choose Default Apps and try to change default app for web browser I can choose Chrome but no change is made.

If I go to the ControlPanel-> Admin tools->Default programs->Set default programs: Chrome is not in the list of programs.

If I go to ControlPanel-> Admin tools->Default programs->Associate filetyp Chrome is set for .html

If I go to the last point Set Program Access ... I can set Chrome as default browser. But when I do I get several other changes: mail is set to Chrome (was Outlook 2013), pdf is changed to Edge (was Acrobat Reader)

Going to settings I can not change mail back to Outlook or rather I can choose Outlook but no change is made. The same goes for the rest as maps, music et.c.

Going to ControlPanel-> Admin tools->Default programs->Set default programs I can set mail back to Outlook.

What can I do to get out of this mess?
(Windows 10 Pro build 14393)

Reaction score
I set Chrome as the default browser by going to Chrome's settings and setting it there.

I have noticed that W10 seems to want to use Edge as the PDF handler rather than Adobe.

Reaction score
I began having problems after the last Update. A whole new browser was inserted by the updaters. As noted previously by others I can set Chrome as default. It will say chrome is default and the new stuff is still there. Not only that IE keeps opening up and taking over. I have a new toolbar which was imposed by the updaters and it is not a nice thing and I want it gone. Why did this happen and what will be done to put my computer back in tip top shape. Included is a screenshot showing the toolbar. How do I make it go away?

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    618.4 KB · Views: 646
Reaction score
Go to chrome settings and turn off the bookmarks bar.

The latest version of Chrome for W10 is
53.0.2785.116 m (64-bit)

If by 'IE' you actually mean Edge then yes, some MS apps will use Edge regardless of your default setting, Cortana for instance.

Reaction score
I set Chrome as the default browser by going to Chrome's settings and setting it there.

I have noticed that W10 seems to want to use Edge as the PDF handler rather than Adobe.

Thank you. As you can tell I am not tech savvy. But thanks.

Ask a Question