Outlook 2010 - IE/Edge Popup

Reaction score
When I open an email in Outlook 2010 and click on a browser link I keep getting a popup saying "How do I want to open this?"
I keep ticking the checkbox at the bottom of the popup so that I use Internet Explorer, but the popup appears every time I want to open a link.

How can I get rid of this popup, I have set Internet Explorer as my default browser?

Reaction score
You are not alone. I have the same problem with Outlook 2007. IE is my default and I keep telling that popup to Always use IE but I get the same popup every time I click a link. Hopefully a fix will come soon.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
When that pop up shows up....and you select your app/software, is there not a little box to tick/check to save that choice. I have it on my popup when it shows up and I tick that box and haven't seen that popup since.

Also make sure to set your default apps/software you want under Programs/Default Programs/Set your default programs.

Reaction score
Bassfisher6522, I have tried ticking the check box and setting my default browser to IE, see my original post

Les

Reaction score
FTR, as I noted (which may have been while you were typing your reply) I repeatedly check that box and have IE set as my default browser. But it does not matter. The popup returns for every link.

As a test, I copied one of the hyperlinks from an email and pasted it in an Excel spread sheet, clicked on it and IE opened as expected.

Also, I use MailWasher so all my emails come into MailWasher's inbox first and the hyperlinks pull up IE as expected there. But if I pull down the very same email into Outlook, I get the popup asking which program do I want to use again.

Also, in Outlook Options, if you click on the button to configure Default Programs, a W10 popup appears saying to set your Default program through Settings > System > Default Apps and as noted, IE is already set in there. :( So it is frustrating but appears to be an OL problem common to at least OL2007 and 2010 - at least for some of us.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a chance that "Microsoft Edge" still has a default association left?
Check
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations
Sort alpha by clicking the "Current Default" column header
Scroll as needed through the extensions and protocol list and see what might be left still associated with "Microsoft Edge".
I don't seem to have the issue with Outlook 2013.
I only have the two remaining Protocols
MICROSOFT-EDGE
READ
That remain associated with Microsoft Edge.
Just a thought, and I'm reasonably sure that Bill has already thought of it but I figured I would offer it as a possible "worth looking at" solution.

Reaction score
Well, I was hoping you were on to something, Randy, because I had not looked at defaults via the Control Panel > Default Programs applet. But it seems it is the same list as seen through Settings. The nice thing is you can sort by Current Default using the Control Panel method and can't through the Settings applet. :rolleyes: :mad:

So I was hoping I might have missed something but I have just those same Edge protocols as you, and they are the only ones. I tried to change the Url:read setting, my only options are Edge and look in MS store. So I clicked Store and it came up with no results. :(

I was looking for an excuse to upgrade to Office 2013 (or maybe 2016) - maybe this is it. ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up Bill. I was kinda hoping that there might be something still associated with Edge...... wrong again, dang it.
Nice to see you here and thanks for pitching in with your considerable expertise.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was hoping too. Oh well. Hopefully somebody will figure it out - but it seems MS needs to put out a fix.

And thanks for the warm welcome.

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I have checked the default applications using control panel, all the extensions for Edge are ticked and I cannot untick them, I have changed all the IE default associations in Control panel default application to Internet Explorer, now there are no associations to Microsoft Edge and have set program access to Internet Explorer.

Have tried to click on a picture in an email and it has opened in Edge, so I am no further on.

Reaction score
When that pop up shows up....and you select your app/software, is there not a little box to tick/check to save that choice. I have it on my popup when it shows up and I tick that box and haven't seen that popup since.

Also make sure to set your default apps/software you want under Programs/Default Programs/Set your default programs.
That popup and box uses old style nternet options setup, same you can see under control panel - edge behavior ignores all of that, try to test more and you will see.
Same applies to history deletes, cache, etc. there is a separate set of parameters to control edge behavior and it does not seem to be exposed.

Reaction score
I have all the above. You may notice that it WILL allow you to set the default to chrome, so are MS doing the hard sell here to get us away from IE11

Reaction score
Coincidently, I did just notice about 5 minutes ago it allows me to set Firefox or PaleMoon so no surprise it will let you set Chrome too.

I cannot imagine this is intentional to drive us away from IE, but with MS, who knows?

Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought that MS would want you to use a competitors browser such as Chrome, perhaps someone from MS reads these forums so may we have an answer?

Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought that MS would want you to use a competitors browser such as Chrome, perhaps someone from MS reads these forums so may we have an answer?
They don't want you to use competitor's browsers but they have no choice in the matter. If they block them, they will get into serious legal trouble with Congress and EU for monopolistic practices. They MUST allow 3rd party apps to run on Windows whether it be Chrome, Norton, or WordPerfect even though Microsoft develops their own browser, anti-malware and word processor programs. And that is how it should be.

In this case, it is different since both Internet Explorer and Edge are Microsoft products. My guess is to avoid any legal issues, they were overzealous in ensuring competing products did work and in the process, somehow forgot to ensure IE did too. So I think it is a bug.

And to that, I recommend and would urge everyone to report to Microsoft. This is easy to do through Windows Feedback in W10. Just start typing feedback in the search box and click on Windows Feedback then follow the prompts to report it, or to add your feedback to the report already there. The more people who complain the more/faster MS will need to deal with it.

Reaction score
Has anyone found a permanent fix for this issue as I'm having the same problem. I found this work around on another forum but it's not perfect.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/2a06143e-54ae-48ec-9139-ae2dceb7af34

I read somewhere else that the problem is limited in scope to IE and Edge. His work around was to install Chrome make Chrome the default browner. He then copied IExplorer.exe into the Chrome app folder, renamed the Chrome EXE to something else and then renamed to copied IExplorer.exe to the Chrome app name. According to this other individual Windows 10 thinks that it's launching Chrome when It actually launches IE.

Let me know if there's a fix.

Reaction score
I have not tried that registry hack - why do you say it is not perfect? Did you see the reply with the modified hack?

Reaction score
Okay, I just followed the instructions in that KB, selecting the option to "open a new tab" when clicking links in my Outlook 2007. It worked perfectly. That is, if IE was not already open, it opened. If IE was already open, clicking a link in Outlook opened a new tab in IE.

Reaction score
Moondoggy, I have applied the registry fix

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\opennew\command]
@="cmd /c start \"IE\" \"%1\""

Outlook now opens images in IE

Ask a Question