Outlook 2010 - IE/Edge Popup

Reaction score
I have not tried that registry hack - why do you say it is not perfect? Did you see the reply with the modified hack?

The original solution that was posted by Karl Timmerman that he received from Microsoft would always open a new instance of IE each time you clicked a link in the email and that's why I said that it was not perfect. I understand that the KB article came out afterwards and now has an option to open a new Tab if IE is already opened or open a new window each time depending on which command is hacked into the registry. There was some reference in the Microsoft Community solution that I included with my post on this forum that some people were seeing a Command window momentarily pop open and close when you clicked on a link in Outlook but I was never quite sure if this was in reference to Karl's original posted solution or one of the alternatives that people were suggesting. Since I have not deployed this fix myself I would appreciate knowing exactly what the behavior is if you apply the fix that's supposed to open a new tab instead of open a new window. Do you see any Command windows popping up when you click a link? Please let me know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Digerati, yes it's solved my problem, I can put up with the command window flashing up for a second, problem solved for me

Reaction score
Great! I am glad the solution works. Yes, I see the cmd window pop up for a split second but since I know what it is, it does not worry me.

And BTW, the option to open a new tab instead of a new window each time was suggested in the original Community solution a few replies down - which MS included in the KB.

Thanks for the followup post.

Reaction score
I have looked at the above but can't see an association to my problem. My links in messages in Outlook always open in IE but it is always my home page from each different link. it is never the target page. I have copied the links into Excel and Word where they work perfectly to the target page but not in Outlook.

Reaction score
I have looked at the above but can't see an association to my problem. My links in messages in Outlook always open in IE but it is always my home page from each different link. it is never the target page. I have copied the links into Excel and Word where they work perfectly to the target page but not in Outlook.

I tried both of the knowledge based fixes. The automated fix edited the registry and I saw the cmd window for a split second as mentioned by others. It worked, but cause another problem. I immediately began experiencing BSOD error: "Page Fault in Non Paged Area" which prompted windows to restart. I tried several proposed fixed for the error but ultimately did a system restore which corrected the problem but also restored the outlook browser prompt behavior. I then tried all of the registry edits that are suggested and they made no change to the behavior of Outlook 2010. I still get prompted about which browser to use every time. And yes IE is shown as the default browser and the file associations all point to IE. I can't find any other fixes out there in cyber world. Anybody got anything new? Are there any registry edits for Outlook that might correct this issue?

Reaction score
Not sure what to say. As I noted above, it worked perfectly for me with Outlook 2007. And since that September post, I have built a new computer for myself and put Outlook 2007 on it. Same problem recurred but manually editing the Registry as noted in that KB fixed again.

While Outlook 2010 is different from 2007, how they call up the default browser should use the same routines. So not sure why the fix would give different results.

Reaction score
Not sure what to say. As I noted above, it worked perfectly for me with Outlook 2007. And since that September post, I have built a new computer for myself and put Outlook 2007 on it. Same problem recurred but manually editing the Registry as noted in that KB fixed again.

While Outlook 2010 is different from 2007, how they call up the default browser should use the same routines. So not sure why the fix would give different results.

Okay. So I exhausted every detailed solution and nothing worked. Here's how I fixed it: I did another system restore back to the day after I installed Windows 10 (because it worked fine initially). Prior to the system restore, I was also having the problem with no start menu, Cortana was disabled and the taskbar icon had no right-click capabilities. This fixed Cortana and there was no page fault, but nothing else, but I knew I was on to something. I then ran the CMD prompt that re-registers the Windows processes (found in another thread) and that fixed everything except the browser defaults in Outlook 2010. I was now back to where I was right after the Windows 10 install (functionality-wise). I then re-tried the registry edits and it fixed the Outlook 2010 browser defaults. I now have a fully functional Windows 10 environment that seems to be working perfectly. So anyone trying this fix, it may be a good idea to go back to the best known configuration BEFORE trying this. Thanks for the help everyone.

Reaction score
I tried both of the knowledge based fixes. The automated fix edited the registry and I saw the cmd window for a split second as mentioned by others. It worked, but cause another problem. I immediately began experiencing BSOD error: "Page Fault in Non Paged Area" which prompted windows to restart. I tried several proposed fixed for the error but ultimately did a system restore which corrected the problem but also restored the outlook browser prompt behavior. I then tried all of the registry edits that are suggested and they made no change to the behavior of Outlook 2010. I still get prompted about which browser to use every time. And yes IE is shown as the default browser and the file associations all point to IE. I can't find any other fixes out there in cyber world. Anybody got anything new? Are there any registry edits for Outlook that might correct this issue?
I solved my problem by setting the default browser to Edge instead of IE and all the links work fine now from Outlook opening up in Edge.

Reaction score
I'd like to use Chrome with Windows 10 and Outlook/Office 10. Nope. Chrome is locked out and the useless popup appears despite trying all fixes in this and several other fora. Isn't there some big federal lawsuit around that?

Reaction score
First, this is a different problem so you should start your own, new thread instead of dredging up one that's been dormant for 4 months.

Second, Chrome and Outlook/Office 10 work great with Windows 10 - all the more reason to start your own thread to find out what is wrong with your computer.

Reaction score
I have Outlook 2003 and have the same problem. however

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\opennew\command]
@="cmd /c start \"IE\" \"%1\""

does not exist in my registry

Reaction score

Giabella,

I have not been following this thread for some time now so I don't know if Microsoft ever fully resolved this problem or not but I'll pass on a caution to you. When I tried the Microsoft Fix I used the "Open a New Tab" solution and found that there was a limitation to the length of the string that you could pass into the command. At that time, there appeared to be a 256 character limitation to the of the URL when you clicked on a link found in in an email. Instead of taking you to the web site the system would tell you that it couldn't find your page and leave you high and dry.. If I right clicked on the links I could copy the long URLS and then paste them into IE but that got old after a while and I simply migrated back to Edge as my default browser. Originally, Edge didn't perform well but since then Microsoft has significantly improved it but there are still some things that I have to use IE for. Anyway, you might want to verify if this solution is still truncating the length of long URLs if you find you're having issues.

Regards.

Reaction score
Thank you. I am just letting everyone know that when I performed the Microsoft fix through that link my problem was resolved. Windows no longer asks me what app I would like to use each time.

Ask a Question