Change File Explorer Background Color? Better way to view solid white or black graphics?

Reaction score
So, I like the white windows theme,
but sometimes I'm working with large groups of solid white graphics (PNG),
I'm unable to see what they look like on a solid white background.
I could switch to dark mode but then I also work with solid black graphics,
so I would need to switch back and forth.

My short term solution has been to highlight the files, so that they show a bit of contrast,
but it's really annoying if I have a group of 500 solid files, I need to highlight them all,
memorize the file name, unselect, then reselect.

Is there a way to change just the file explorer background color to an off white, very light grey?
Without changing everything else like the taskbar, start menu etc.
I don't want my entire OS to look like ugly windows XP gray.
I would like it to look pretty much the same just not pure white.

Alternatively Is there a way to possibly add some type of drop shadow to the thumbnails,
without changing the actual thumbnails? Or even maybe just changing the background color
of individual folders?

Reaction score
hmm, I'm not sure I want to venture into alternate file managers just yet. How do they work? Do they run separately, or does one replace the other? I might look into it for the future.

Currently I'm looking into a software called "QTTabBar".
It let's you change pretty much every element of the explorer.
The UI looks very familiar, I think I must have used it way back in Windows 7 days.
It's supposed to work with Windows 10, but might be a little unstable.
I'm hopping if I don't make a ton of changes, and just the background color it
shouldn't cause to many problems. I haven't tried it yet, I'll update when I do.

I'm looking at some pictures of windows 10 dark mode right now, it kind of looks like
the file explorer background isn't completely black, but more of a charcoal, with pure black
menus. I assumed it would be pure black (pixels completely off) to save power with OLED displays.
If it's a charcoal black then that would still work with my pure black graphics.

Ask a Question