File explorer - Date Created changes whenever file is updated - HELP!!

Reaction score
I have a new Dell workstation 7510, Windows 10 pro, 64 bit system with 2 hard drives. I recently noticed that whenever I modify and/or resave a file the 'date created' column always changes to the current date/time instead of remaining the original created date - so the date modified column and the date created column always have the same value. I have googled the problem and have found no help - or any mention of this issue anywhere. Dell was of no help when I called pro support either.
My operating system and applications are stored on the SSD 'C' and my files are all on the 'D' drive. I changed the 'location' (right click on Documents folder and go to the location tab) of the documents folder so all docs would be stored on the 'D' drive and not slow the system down. After testing my system further, I found that the problem is only happening on the 'd' drive - the same file saved on the 'C' drive records the dates correctly and the date created never changes.

Does anyone have any insight into this problem? I need the date created to be correct and remain the original date - I use it for reference all the time and this is making my job SO DIFFICULT!!

Reaction score
All my PCs are Dell and they (.docs) show the date modified, not the date created, only the folder creation date remains unchanged.
I'm a little confused by your post. You say on C: you have the OS and applications; On D: you have all your .doc files.
[ After testing my system further, I found that the problem is only happening on the 'd' drive - the same file saved on the 'C' drive records the dates correctly and the date created never changes.]

How can you possibly open the same .docs on C: when they are all stored on D:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have organized my folders to save my documents on D but that doesnt mean I can't save them on C....so as a test I saved a copy of a few test files on both C and D - the date created only changed for those files on the D drive - not the C Drive.

Reaction score
It could be the structure of your C drive as it only contains programs and data. D: has been set up to contain and save your working .docs, xls, pdf... files and the dates reflect changes to such as it should. If you were to save back ups to your D drive it would tag it with the current date, any differential back-ups thereafter would reflect the date the created and saved, not the original date of the first back-up.

I'm no expert on multiple drives, but someone here will have an explanation. Hang in there!

Reaction score
Update- still no answer. Dell pro support and Microsoft all looking into this problem with no solution yet. The date created changes every time the file is saved, so that all date information - created date, mondified date, last accessed date all reflect exactly the same information each time the document is resaved with minor updates; only on the secondary D drive in MS Publisher files as well as files save from Adobe Photoshop. Anyone else seeing this (Dell DID see the same behavior) and/or any suggestions to try and find the root of the problem??

Ask a Question