File explorer takes ages to organise contents in date order

Reaction score
I have a library folder with 4,000 images. The folder is set to view in date order. When I open it in File Manager a green bar crawls across for up to two minutes before the folder is displayed in the correct order. This doesn't always happen but when a third party program wants to access the folder, it always happens.

I have another similar folder but with under 500 images and the same happens, although it resolves faster at 30 seconds. A documents library also exhibits this issue.

Each folder is set to "general" and detail view so no thumbnails are needed.

My system is extremely fast and is used for image processing and video editing. I have experienced this problem with many versions of Windows before.

Are there any settings I need to alter to stop this? It is extraordinary that this happens in this day and age.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Brian,

It'd be worth pressing Windows Key and S key to give focus to Search box then type Indexing Options and pressing Enter key.

The window that opens has a troubleshooting link that may help, but you can also modify the indexing to include or exclude items which may improve performance.

If you need advice on how to modify just ask and I'll post the steps.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
You mat have the Cortana search box already on the left of the taskbar. If so just type indexing there and you will be in the options box.
Open "modify" and make sure the images/library folder is included

Reaction score
Narrowing it down then. It may be an indexing issue. Firstly why reindex everytime the folder is opened in File Explorer? Secondly why does it seem that third party apps ignore Windows indexing when they open a folder?

I am currently indexing everything I need and will see in it is retained on next boot.

Reaction score
It's not re-indexing each time. It's reading your directory and then resorting it via your sort settings. That takes a bunch of time with a large number of files. The purpose of indexing is to eliminate this problem by adding indexes to help it lookup files without having to sort them each time. It simply accesses the index and BAM, your files are displayed in the order from the index.

So, like the other posters recommended, adding an index to a very large directory is the right way to go. And no, third party apps should be accessing the file system through the indexing function. It is built into the file system access.

Reaction score
OK so as far as can see it is now indexed but it still takes 20 secs from opening to display in date order. Why doesn't it keep them in date order in the first place?!

Incidentally I use a little file searchutility from Voidtools called "Everything". It is instant. Regardless if it is asked to show all contents of a 1Tb drive. Howcome Windows can't do that?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
"Everything! " My very favourite utility!!
Mine too. I seldom use the native search feature in Windows, especially if I'm really looking for something important.

Reaction score
Going OT maybe but Everything is fabulous and has saved my bacon as it shows File History files in searches too. I wish Windows was as responsive.

Reaction score
Well, if you'd still like to improve Windows' search index, try resetting and rebuilding it. It gets bloated after some time. Also put the index somewhere other than your system drive so it's not competing with it.

Here's a video from Windows 8.1, but it still applies:

Reaction score
I forgot to answer your question about why Windows isn't as fast. 'Everything' indexes only file folders and file names. It doesn't index metadata or the file contents. So if you are searching for something by a tag or a word in a document, it won't find it. Windows indexing does search inside of files and other metadata as well so it's index is huge.

But most people are just need to search by file name and that's enough to find most things.

Ask a Question