SOLVED File Explorer

Reaction score
I have inadvertently changed some minor setting in my Win10 File Explorer options which makes life a little harder. Now when I open File Explorer and a list of Folders and Devices appear in a left-hand column, the little 'carats' to the left of each [individual] folder are missing. Before, and by clicking on that carat, each folder would decompress and show its content of sub-folders.

For instance, if I clicked on the carat behind the folder 'Documents', the sub-folders of 'Documents' would appear under the main folder "Documents" in an indented column. This new list of sub-folders would be accessible without hiding all the other main folders.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Expand "This PC"
Hover your mouse over that area of the Navigation Pane in File Explorer and the function carats should appear

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
One outstanding problem with the current state of my File Explorer is that I am no longer able to drag a folder to my external hard drive. It was convenient to click the carat to the left of "documents" and have the documents sub-folders appear wherein I could drag one down to my connected external hard drive.

Now that those carats are missing - and when I double click the "documents" folder in order to open it, it opens to its sub-folders in good order but then that causes the previous list of folders (pictures, music, devices) to disappear. There is no longer a visible icon for my external hard drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Problem solved. Upon opening File Explorer, in the upper task bar, select This PC/View/Navigation Pane. The "check" beside Navigation Pane was missing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ooops!
I mentioned the "Navigation Pane" in my first post and actually captured images from it.....
Not realizing you were not displaying yours.

That's why using the snipping tool to capture an image of the problem (what you are actually seeing) is often helpful in providing worthwhile answers.

Reaction score
Ooops!
I mentioned the "Navigation Pane" in my first post and actually captured images from it.....
Not realizing you were not displaying yours.

That's why using the snipping tool to capture an image of the problem (what you are actually seeing) is often helpful in providing worthwhile answers.
I missed your comments regarding the snipping tool. Please provide more info on that. It sounds like a valuable tool.

Reaction score
I missed your comments regarding the snipping tool. Please provide more info on that. It sounds like a valuable tool.
I watched a Youtube presentation on the Win10 snipping tool. Good information!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The snipping tool is simply a native Windows 10 image capture application that allows you to take snips of full screen(s), individual windows or even selected areas of a particular window (rectangle or freeform).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027213/windows-10-open-snipping-tool-and-take-a-screenshot
Microsoft insists that it is soon to be deprecated and replaced with a new app they are calling "Snip & Sketch" very similar product, also native to Windows 10.

They are both currently available natively (nothing to download or install) in the current version of Windows 10.
Your best bet is to just experiment, play around with the snipping tool and then snip & sketch most features and functions are present in both.

There are a ton of "How To" articles and videos out there on that inter-web thingy if you have any specific questions just ask and we'll try to help further.

Reaction score
The latest IP version has taken the Snipping Tool off the Start menu and the Snip and Sketch is not working properly, closes when trying to do anything.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Running the latest Insider Preview 18312.1001 and "Snipping Tool" is still there under Windows Accessories

Untitled.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Snip and Sketch is not working properly
Not sure but I think that is a built in behavior.... It doesn't really close so much as clear itself from the screen so you can view what you intend to capture.
The image below was produced with Snip & Sketch

Annotation 2019-01-11 145458.jpg

But there is certainly some buggy things in this latest Preview Build so it wouldn't surprise me to find that Snip & Sketch was glitching.
They've definitely had some issues with it in the recent past.

Ask a Question