File Explorer crashes, immediately restarts after big November Update

Reaction score
After installing the great November Update Treshold 2, i cant use my PC in a normal way.

I cant open the File Explorer, either i have no access to the workplace and my Folders on HDD.

Also it crashes when i try to open the system control panel e.t.c....

It seems like the crash occurs everytime windows has to show up some informations in a window.
Nothing happens and iam back on desktop.

restarts, sfc scannow havent worked for me till now... any suggestions?

greetings

Reaction score
I had similar issues after this update, but sadly i didn't find a solution different that reinstalling windows from scratch... First of all, a lot of system settings where changed, which is a total pain in the ass because you have to go around fixing it... then I noticed a bigger problem - a lot of programs didn't work correctly anymore, it looked like some problems with permissions, as many programs showed read / write errors, won't save their settings etc. Changing the permissions to full access for every user solved the problem for some, but not all of them. For example 7-zip still couldn't be set as a default application for selected file formats. While I was reinstalling it, explorer.exe crashed and since then my start menu and tray icons completely stopped working. Restarting the system, restarting the explorer.exe process, running it as administrator and many, many other "solutions" I found didn't help. So, I decided it's time to reinstall the system. Luckily, the ISO I downloaded from MSDN appearently already had the update so after installing the system I had a newest version of Windows 10, and this time it actually worked.

Reaction score
@Musk , did the download allow you to reinstall without a product key, meaning did it pull it from your uefi? How did you install it?

Reaction score
@Tim Tuckey
No, I had to type the key during the installation. I actually didn't even know UEFI can store your Windows key, I have an older system with regular BIOS.

I'm a student, and my school provides me with free licences for various software, including Windows. I downloaded a copy of "Windows 10 Education N Edition" from MSDN, installed the downloaded ISO to a USB stick, booted from it and choose clean install - I formatted my system drive and installed new clean copy of Windows there.

Suprisingly the downloaded ISO either already had the new update preinstalled, or downloaded it while installing Windows. After I installed all my programs and set everything the way it was before the update, everything works fine again (except 7-zip, still can't make it default app for chosen file formats in its settings, had to set it up manually).

Reaction score
@Musk

I had the Explorer crashing but tried this and it fixed it:

Please follow the below steps and check if it works,

Follow the steps.

1. Press Windows key + X.
  2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Ask a Question