Change hardware, make activation void

Reaction score
I am about to upgrade my motherboard and CPU. Win 10 is the OS on the hard drive which will be retained in the upgraded PC. Will this make the activation of win 10 void in the upgraded PC. If so how do I re-activate win 10

Reaction score
I believe you call Microsoft and tell the CSR and they will re-activate. I have never done it myself.

Reaction score
I've never tried it, either.
One long winded approach could be to reinstall your original OS (win7/8.1?) and go through the upgrade process again. Even that could have its downfall, as the key may have already been logged as redundant.

Reaction score
It certainly WAS what you had to do... but with W10's different activation who knows.

There used to be a specific 800 number and when you tried to activate online the message showed that number.

Now it MAY be that re-activation online will work with W10.

So Agnister, try it and come back here and tell us how you got on.

Reaction score
I shall phone Microsoft first to see what they have to say first. According to some of the threads I have read since I posted this MS just fob you off and tell you to purchase another license.

Ask a Question