Hardware change during upgrade

Reaction score
Hi

Over the weekend, I carried out the free upgrade to Windows 10, followed by a clean install. This was on a laptop with the manufacturers OEM licence, and it all worked fine, with Windows 10 being activated correctly after the clean install.

I plan on carrying this out on one of my PC’s (which has a Technet licence), but also want to change the Hard drive for a SSD after the initial upgrade but before the clean install. All other hardware will remain the same.

I have heard that the licence is tied to the motherboard, but my concern is that due to the hardware change, will Windows 10 automatically activate after the clean install ?

Thanks

Reaction score
In my personal opinion, the advice given by Joergi from the other forum appears to be the correct one.
You are still using the same MOBO. So, it should be ok. Worse comes to worst, do a phone activation.

P.S. Your title is a bit misleading. You do not plan to change hardware "during" upgrade. You plan to change hardware "after" the initial upgrade.

Last edited:

Ask a Question