SOLVED Change names on Start-up Tiles

Reaction score
Patty the Start Menu items listed in that folder are all links. You can rename those links to what you want listed before you pin them to the Start Menu. The pinned items are a different list but the names come from the item name that was pinned.

Reaction score
Patty the Start Menu items listed in that folder are all links. You can rename those links to what you want listed before you pin them to the Start Menu. The pinned items are a different list but the names come from the item name that was pinned.

When you say "that folder," what are you referring to? I've had no luck finding a folder showing pinned items or shortcuts. Can you explain further?

Reaction score
I have a feeling you will need to name the item before pinning it to the Start Menu. If you can create a link before adding the item you will be able to name the link first.

You can find application links from one of the two locations:
  1. C:\Users\%userID%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
  2. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Web addresses can be added to Desktop in order to edit the link (which is also mentioned above).

Reaction score
When the site opens in EDGE,use the 3 dots and pick" open with internet explorer".
Then click the settings wheel in top right and pick "Add Apps"
Open the All Apps list in the start page
Scroll down and you will find the new App. It may be at the top, and not in the All Apps
Right click and go to "Open File Location"
RIght click the file,pick rename and call it what you will
Go to the App List again and you will see the app It sometimes takes a little while (A few seconds)

As Regedit suggests, rather a long winded process.

Regedit32

Reaction score
HELP!!! I HAVE BATS IN MY BELFRY!!!
I liked this option! It all worked wonderfully.... until.... I went to open the newly named tile and it didn't take me to the page I had marked, but took me to a search engine, THAT I'VE NEVER USED BEFORE!!!

I hope they are Pink bats. Don't want you getting cold in your home.

OK, given it almost worked for you but at the last hurdle it failed again.

The only other method I know works (at least it works fine for me) is:
  • Click File Explorer
  • In File Explorer's address bar, type or copy & paste the following:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Press Enter key after sticking above in the address bar of File Explorer​

• Next right-click on a empty spot in the Start menu folder | select New > Shortcut

In the window that opens you'll see Type the location of the item: with a box beneath it.

• Once you've entered an URL, click Next
  • Now you'll see Type a name for this shortcut: and a box beneath it. In that box give it a name you would want to see on your Start Menu Tile later.
  • With the name entered click Finish
  • Close File Explorer
  • Click Start then click All apps
  • Scroll the list to locate your newly named shortcut then right-click and choose Pin to Start

That ought to do it :)

Ask a Question