Changing a a hard drive c to a new c drive

Reaction score
If I replace my hard c with a new one and new window 10 and activate it I then change it back to the old hard drive c which is activated too will the work also

Reaction score
It's my thought one wouldn't necessarily need a new copy of Win10 when changing the hard drive [HDD or SSD] as the Digital Entitlement/Activation is based on more than that drive. I'd certainly use the MCT [Media Creation Tool] to download and create media to do the install.

Most times changing back to the old drive should work as long as the BIOS still recognizes it. But the question of Why? arises, if only to get old data off of it I'd use an inexpensive portable drive case for the purpose, a lot cheaper than a copy of Windows 10.

Reaction score
It's my thought one wouldn't necessarily need a new copy of Win10 when changing the hard drive [HDD or SSD] as the Digital Entitlement/Activation is based on more than that drive. I'd certainly use the MCT [Media Creation Tool] to download and create media to do the install.

Most times changing back to the old drive should work as long as the BIOS still recognizes it. But the question of Why? arises, if only to get old data off of it I'd use an inexpensive portable drive case for the purpose, a lot cheaper than a copy of Windows 10.

Reaction score
I have a new copy win 10 and was just thinking of putting on my new c drive and keeping it for later if needed

Reaction score
I have 2 computers one I leave alone and the other I play with
Good idea. I have my 'production' computers with the RTM version [1 with Home and 1 with Pro] and also 2 test computers with the Insider Preview versions.

Reaction score
A clean install on the new HD is the way to go. Whenever you're ready to install the new HD just transfer over your personal data.

Ask a Question