Changing Desktop icons pictures

Reaction score
Having recently installed Windows 10 successfully, can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the picture of an icon on the desktop that activates a particular website, as opposed to holding URLs in favorites.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Timber,

Welcome to our Forum.

I'm not a icon modifying guru by any stretch of the imagination, however it is certainly possibly to change icons.
  • Click Start > Settings > Personalization
  • Next in the left panel click on Themes
  • Now in the main window under Related Settings click the hyperlinked Desktop icon settings

That opens this window:

Desktop Icon Settings.png
  • As all ready stated I am not a guru on this, however:
    • If you check all the boxes and select This PC then click Change Icon button you ought to be able to choose a new icon or a custom one if you have created one yourself.

Note: In most browsers the website you are on is displayed with a favicon to left of the website address in the browsers address bar. If you left-click and hold mouse button down then drag mouse pointer to Desktop then release left mouse button a shortcut will be created on your desktop with that icon appearing. If no favicon exists then the default shortcut icon will be the icon of the web browser you happen to be using at the time.

The one exception to this is the Microsoft Edge browser which for now does not allow extensions although that will be changing soon.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Having recently installed Windows 10 successfully, can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the picture of an icon on the desktop that activates a particular website, as opposed to holding URLs in favorites.
Hi Timber,

Welcome to our Forum.

I'm not a icon modifying guru by any stretch of the imagination, however it is certainly possibly to change icons.
  • Click Start > Settings > Personalization
  • Next in the left panel click on Themes
  • Now in the main window under Related Settings click the hyperlinked Desktop icon settings

That opens this window:

View attachment 3085
  • As all ready stated I am not a guru on this, however:
    • If you check all the boxes and select This PC then click Change Icon button you ought to be able to choose a new icon or a custom one if you have created one yourself.

Note: In most browsers the website you are on is displayed with a favicon to left of the website address in the browsers address bar. If you left-click and hold mouse button down then drag mouse pointer to Desktop then release left mouse button a shortcut will be created on your desktop with that icon appearing. If no favicon exists then the default shortcut icon will be the icon of the web browser you happen to be using at the time.

The one exception to this is the Microsoft Edge browser which for now does not allow extensions although that will be changing soon.

Regards,

Regedit32
Hi Regedit32
Thank you for your prompt reply. I have tried the basic approach to changing desktop icons as you have suggested, but it will only affect the desktop icons that are shown. The icons that I'm seeking to alter are not shown in the Desktop Icons Window. These are icons of my commonly used web sites. I note your further instructions written in red and I will try these later on. Must keep an appointment now!
Thanks, Timber

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK Timber,

This is not an area I can offer a lot of expertise in but there are many on the Forum who discuss modifying their icons so I am sure sooner or later someone will add to this thread with the relevant advice to help you further.

Thanks for replying as it helps those reading fully comprehend what precisely you want help with.

You could also try the search box in our forum to see if any other threads have addressed this issue.

This thread was an interesting one for example: https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...through-regedit-dropbox-icon.8745/#post-39789

colorrush joined our Forum. You could use the Inbox feature to drop him a message re your issue as he clearly is into creating icons and using them both on the desktop and in cloud. He'd probably help you :)

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question