Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have had a Hotmail account for around 8 years now and it is the hub of all my Microsoft apps (Office, Facebook, Xbox, Windows Phone ..etc) but it has come to an unmanageable point. The e-mail address I have being using for this Hotmail account is linked to everything.

I would like to remove the Hotmail e-mail address I have so that I can have a new outlook account, starting afresh from the years of junk that has been accumulating uselessly in my e-mail. This of course affects everything, because even though as i don't use the Hotmail e-mail it lingers everywhere plaguing my notifications (continuous notifications on my laptop, phone ..etc).

So I would love to create a new Outlook account which I can use a working e-mail but also transfer all of my apps that I have from the Hotmail account (Office, Xbox live, Windows Phone..etc) to my new Outlook account. I've tried a few things but have been very cautious because I don't want to lose my apps, especially seeing as I have paid for things such as Office.

Please help because I am desperate to have a functional Microsoft account !

Many thanks

Reaction score
MS used to allow you to link multiple accounts but they stopped it in 2013 because of security reason. Now something I did was I logged into Windows 10 with my Microsoft account and then I had a problem with the Mail app and camera. Then the Store stopped working. So I created a new local account and assigned it admin rights. When I logged in and tried to go to the store I used the MS account and I did the same with OneDrive. I have Office professional so I don't do anything with my MS account for office.

If you choose to do this I would go out and creat a new MS account and setup up Outlook then once the new account is created use is for all the apps that you uses the old MS account for.

Ask a Question