Changing Product Key

Reaction score
Hi

Ive recently upgraded to Win10 under the free upgrade and it was based on the Win8.1 Home edition I had on my machine at the time, however when I bought my machine it was running Win7 Pro on. I bought the Win8.1 separately and realised after I bought it that I should have bought the Pro version. Ive just seen an option to change the product key. Given that Win7 Pro is one of the free upgrade routes, does anyone know if I can change the product key to the Win7 Pro and then gain the Win10 Pro features ?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Reaction score
If you original had a legit Win 7 Pro, then the only path for you is to reinstall that OP, using the (OEM?) key on the computer case.
You will then be offered the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
I am not aware of any method to legitimately change the product key.

Reaction score
If you original had a legit Win 7 Pro, then the only path for you is to reinstall that OP, using the (OEM?) key on the computer case.
You will then be offered the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
I am not aware of any method to legitimately change the product key.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. For your information, the area I'm talking about is:

Settings, Update and Security, Activation

The option says I can change product key, so it is a legitimate way to change the product key but just in case there was any problems, I wondered if any one else had done it. And yes the Win7 Pro is a legitimate version.

Tony

Reaction score
You can change the product key from one version, such as pro, to the same (pro) version, but not from one version to another.
I am sure you will find that if you do as you suggest, the key will not be acceptable. You do not have pro installed, so it would require you to go through the procedure again.

Ask a Question