Changing resolution after installing drivers

Reaction score
Hello, I installed windows 10 using the iso option of media creation tool. I did a clean install of it. It worked fine till the time I noticed that the graphics were not installed. So I downloaded drivers for my nvidia 7025 nforce 630a (309.08-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe). But when I tried to install it, after some time, the display went blank and i got an "Out Of Range error". I encountered this error in the past, so I tried to boot the system in "low-resolution mode" and then fix it. But Low Resolution mode gives me same error. Please help me on installing the driver correctly, as the performance of the system is damn slow (as it is using microsoft's basic video driver). Thanks in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi @alphabeta, welcome to the forums :). I've not seen the "out of range" error for a long time, but it used to happen when the refresh rate was set too high for the monitor.

Do you know your monitor model? It would be worth finding out if there is a problem with the refresh rate the drivers are trying to use and your monitor max.

Reaction score
According to Nvidia drivers page there is no Windows 10 driver available... the latest driver being from 2013, and even then it is stuffed in as a legacy product meaning lacking future support, so I would imagine the best chance of success would be looking to windows update itself for a compatible driver.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi @alphabeta, welcome to the forums :). I've not seen the "out of range" error for a long time, but it used to happen when the refresh rate was set too high for the monitor.

Do you know your monitor model? It would be worth finding out if there is a problem with the refresh rate the drivers are trying to use and your monitor max.
I don't remember exactly as it is a 2006 model and I know that it's the refresh rate that's causing it. Basic Driver provided by microsoft does a good job of handling display, but once I try to install the driver, it switches to some unknown setting. I want to know if there's a way to prevent this from happening.

According to Nvidia drivers page there is no Windows 10 driver available... the latest driver being from 2013, and even then it is stuffed in as a legacy product meaning lacking future support, so I would imagine the best chance of success would be looking to windows update itself for a compatible driver.
Windows driver is unable to provide the result I'm looking for (Cause it at the core, just a basic display adapter)

Anyways, thanks both of you, If you have anything, please do let me know. Thanks

Reaction score
Well other options would be attempting to set the screen resolution manually from safe mode, it may work, but more likely you'd need modded driver ini or reg edit fixes to sort it I think, until it is added to official support.

Reaction score
Well other options would be attempting to set the screen resolution manually from safe mode, it may work, but more likely you'd need modded driver ini or reg edit fixes to sort it I think, until it is added to official support.

As I mentioned earlier, in safe mode, changing resolution doesn't do much good. I need to set it via the control panel, that comes with the drivers, which are unavailable as safe mode only loads basic drivers. Also I tried to run on low-resolution mode (for windows 7, it worked, using this mode and then changing resolution) but it loads the os in the same resolution. :( any suggestions. And btw, what are those modded driver ini or reg edit fixes, can you explain more about them or give a link? Thanks

Reaction score
On sites like Guru3D.com they often have modded drivers, early betas etc where they have been hacked changes to ini files to work on unsupported models etc. Might be worth asking on their forum.

Reaction score
There may not be much you can do with legacy drivers. There's been a few with issues with nvidia 7 series.

Ask a Question