Check your Windows Defender protection engine version

Bif

Reaction score
Update:
I have pinned the new fancy Security Centre to my task bar and Bob's your uncle!
I'm thinking that @cyclist had the old (original) Defender program pinned thus clicking it would result in the old Antivirus UI opening and not the new Security Centre UI.
Clear as mud!:confused:

Reaction score
Hi Bif,
I was reading your exchange with davehc when it occurred to me that I did not try to open the Windows Security center from my taskbar. And when I tried this just a few moments ago the new Security Center or your Attachment
5686 opened in the manner I expected with this Version of 1703. So I went to my taskbar and clicked on security icon and it opened to the new Windows Security Center. Next, just verify, I opened the Settings-Windows Defender and click on the Open Windows Defender Security Center tab and the new Security center UI opened. I hope this clear as mud. Try it see and see if it works for you. On a previous post to you I ID the version detail that is on my system. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Yes Dave, left photo is pinned to task bar...from @cyclist OP on this matter, he stated that clicking on the old Defender task bar icon brought up the new Security Centre UI...if I understood it properly.
This is all probability for not, but would like to know if anyone else gets these same (or different) results.

Bif

Reaction score
@cyclist, all opens as it should now...but the confusion from my end was that I had a remnant (old) Defender icon on my taskbar, for whatever reason it did not update to the new Security Centre with the latest cumulative.(although the Security Centre was accessible from search) I've since removed that old icon from the task bar and replaced it with the new one, interestingly..that old icon and the old UI that showed when clicked on has entirely vanished from my machine..a possible if ever so slight glitch in the upgrade/update process I'm assuming.
But as I said all is good now.

Cheers

Reaction score
Looks like you are a bit behind with definitions?
Hi Dave,

I think I should be up-to-date now?:

defender update.JPG

I run updates yesterday evening and the above is what I have now. :)

Ask a Question