Windows 10 Spellchecker not working

Reaction score
Hi, I've already checked the settings, like Settings/Devices/typing/spelling and both options are "on". It's not working, in that if I write asdfasd, it's not underlined or highlighted or anything else either, nor does it get automatically changed or deleted.

I have recently reinstalled W10 (though spellchecker was not working previously either). After reinstallation, Firefox spellcheck also not working, maybe it does not install dictionaries automatically anymore, but just mentioned that to say I need some sort of reliable and safe automatic spellchecker, doesn't matter where it comes from, browser or W10 itself, though with W10 spellchecker will also work in notepad/wordpad I assume which is a big plus (I don't have Word).

Thansk for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't help.
Just thought I would add a "me too" here.
Although I have no problem with spell check generally overall in Windows 10....
I have had a continuing and intermittent problem with Spell Check within Internet Explorer.

I've never had it involve any other browers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Edge) they all still spell check fine, as well as MS Word (winword.exe), Outlook (the real one), etc. also still spell check as expected.
I have quite literally tried everything and have been unable to find any "settings" (including a complete reset of IE to factory), or any add-on / plug-ins or anything else that is producing this problem.

IF you ever figure it out, please come back here and tell me what you did to fix it.
I will not install any third party spell checker just to address this one single annoyance.

Ask a Question