Chocolatey Package Installer

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've started using "Chocolatey" to install a lot of the software on my main Windows 10 PC (rather than Ninite). It's a package manager, similar to apt-get if you already use Linux.

It means that you can deploy and upgrade software with just a few clicks or keystrokes, especially if you use the new Chocolatey GUI:

Capture.PNG

It's different to a "software updater" app, as it doesn't send you to a download page or direct URL when you need to update an app, instead it fetches the package direct from the internet and updates the local installation for you (no setup applications or interaction needed).

There's a good range of popular software too. Worth checking out if you're a power user: https://chocolatey.org/

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I remember using Ninite but I didn't know there was a 2nd choice. Well give that a look at.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had a look at the options, but can't see a dark theme unfortunately. You could use the command line version, but it's not as easy to use then.

They do seem fairly responsive on Github, so might be open to the suggestion :)

Reaction score
one question though: does it fetch the update directly from the manufacturer or some of those download sites where one can never be sure that it is not blown up or infected with malware??

Not that this isn't a bad thing but I am a little skeptical (one can say paranoid also). . .

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
does it fetch the update directly from the manufacturer or some of those download sites where one can never be sure that it is not blown up or infected with malware??
Oh I agree entirely!

Most of the software I install comes directly from the software developer, often it is downloaded in the background direct from their site. The rest of the packages are done by "trusted" maintainers:

What is a trusted package?
Related to the community package repository only (aka the default feed aka https://chocolatey.org/packages).

A package that is considered trusted comes from the original software creator or is maintained by someone in the community who has a track record for high quality and safe packages.

Two ways your packages can become trusted:

• You write the underlying software that the package installs. For instance the ReSharper package that comes directly from JetBrains.
  • You put in a lot of good packages and your packages will eventually become trusted.
For a package to switch to trusted, a moderator must manually make the change. It is not an automated process.

Note: Once everything is ready, all packages will go under automated verification and validation and be held for fixes if they don't pass, even trusted packages.

I personally would only use the popular packages, which are automated builds from source.

Reaction score
I did not know Ninite had a competitor.
I will try this out. Coincidently that is what we call the "Khaki" color in our native language.
Does the application allow me to select different themes to make it look like the way I want to?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I did not know Ninite had a competitor.
I will try this out. Coincidently that is what we call the "Khaki" color in our native language.
Does the application allow me to select different themes to make it look like the way I want to?
I find this app really useful :). Sadly I can't see a way to change the theme colours, although the GUI is on GitHub so they may be open to suggestions:

Ask a Question