Clone or Backup for new H/drive

Reaction score
Having regular Macrium back-ups made of my current H/drive 500g to a 500g extn drive.

The H/drive is in need of up-grading to a larger capacity drive.

To transfer an image of my drive with Windows and all my files, should I clone or use the back-up I have to the new larger drive.

Reaction score
I think it would be faster to make the move with MR. Cloning you'll have to create the clone and then restore the clone. I think restoring the back up you create right before switching drives or just updating the current MR File and Folder back up will be much more accurate and faster than using windows Drag and drop or using the windows Move command. Another option would be to Create an Image and restoring that Image after you switch out Hard Drives Which might be your fastest way since MR creating an image will also compress that image. So it will restore faster and accurately than any file transfer method.

Reaction score
Having regular Macrium back-ups made of my current H/drive 500g to a 500g extn drive.

The H/drive is in need of up-grading to a larger capacity drive.

To transfer an image of my drive with Windows and all my files, should I clone or use the back-up I have to the new larger drive.

What type of new HDD or SSD are you buying? Is it a SATA 2.5 HDD or SSD or is it a HDD 3.5 inch SATA or an internal M.2 SSD? If its either a SATA 2.5 HDD or SSD or a 3.5 inch HDD the easiest way is with a USB to SATA cable connector and use the “Clone” with Macrium Reflect externally. If its an M.2 SSD then you can do it externally also with a USB to M.2 adaptor and the same as with a SATA. It’s a simple process of just plug and play. I’ve done this many times and with Macrium Reflect and Samsung’s “Data Migration” software (note: this is only for Samsung SSD's, M.2's) and its quick and fail proof fast and once you have cloned your existing boot HDD you take the old boot HDD out (never have the two together e.g. new and old) as the system will always boot from the old boot HDD and after format the old boot HDD to use as a slave or an external HDD, simple.

Ask a Question