Using Macrium Reflect to clone system drive to external USB drive

Reaction score
I'm using Macrium Reflect free edition to clone my 1TB system drive once/week to an external 1TB USB drive (previous clone overwritten each time). In the Macrium help, I see the following caution:

"Windows cannot boot from a USB connected drive. This is a restriction imposed by Windows. If you clone your system disk to a USB connected external drive then, to boot your clone, the physical disk must be removed from the USB caddy and attached to your Motherboard SATA port."

My question is this. If I should need to restore my system drive from my clone backup, will a PC repair shop be able to use my Western Digital Passport USB drive to accomplish my restore? Please explain your answer. If restoration from this drive would not be possible, what are my options for creating either a clone or an image backup myself with the ability for a professional to do the restore for me? My overriding goal is to accomplish the restore without having to re-install any software.

Reaction score
But Windows can boot from a USB stick. So with Macrium you can make a USB stick that will reboot and then Macrium can reload the image from a USB attached ssd/hdd. You only need to refresh the USB stick when macrium tells you to...but you should probably have two copies of it.
One more step but it works. Normally the PC is working well enough to boot from its internal disk and then run macrium to load the image.

Just a note. My Macrium is a paid for version. I presume but don't know that a free version works the same way.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
A PC shop should have no issues cloning it back. But I'm sure you can do it with the bootable USB stick like Tim said.

Ask a Question