Clone or Reinstall from Windows 10 Media Tool

Reaction score
I am replacing the hard drive on my Acer All-In-One Computer. Still working ok but having some issues with freezing, sometimes.

Will I need to clone the old hard drive first to another new Hard Drive or has anybody installed Windows 10 using the Windows creation media straight to a new hard drive?

I have seen it done on YouTube and it would save some money not having to buy the USB adapter cable if I can reinstall with the creation media tool.

Any suggestions always appreciated.

Reaction score
If the only change is the drive I usually boot the USB drive made by the MCT process or download the .iso file and burn the bootable DVD, do the clean install.

The Activation of Win10 should occur when connected to the Internet and in System can check that it is activated with a Digital License. It's changing of the motherboard that gets more complicated in that respect.

Reaction score
If the only change is the drive I usually boot the USB drive made by the MCT process or download the .iso file and burn the bootable DVD, do the clean install.

The Activation of Win10 should occur when connected to the Internet and in System can check that it is activated with a Digital License. It's changing of the motherboard that gets more complicated in that respect.
Cheers thanks for the advice Bighorn. A fresh install would be the better option than cloning problems from the failing hard drive. Will grab some funds soon and do the hard drive replacement and post a thread on the forum.
Appreciate you help.

Ask a Question