Cloud storage

Reaction score
Morning all, welcome to the weekend!

Curious, do you use cloud storage, the likes of Box, Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive?
If so, why do you use a particular one?

I would like to use OneDrive. Alas, in the past, using it has seem rather slow (data transfers, along with small file size capacity).
Thoughts...?

Thanks all

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I like OneDrive, simply because of how well it integrates with Windows 10. Dropbox is very popular, but it's had some serious breaches in the past which has put me off using it somewhat.

For cloud storage, I'd only use one of the really big-name companies, as they're most likely be on top of security.

Reaction score
When I first got Office 365 it offered 1TB of storage on OneDrive. Press revues of paid-for cloud storage offers at the time rated Office 365 good value just for its cloud storage alone, let alone all the Office softare. So a couple of years ago Onedrive was rated highly. I use if for all my main storage for stuff created on my PC because I can also access anything I need at meetings elsewhwere using my ipad. It means I longer have to ensure I take everything with me to meetings.

Reaction score
I use One Drive and Dropbox for things like photos, my book journal and other not important stuff. I keep sensitive documents on external harddrives.

Reaction score
I use Google "MyDrive". (For now.)

I chose MyDrive because Google allows me to purchase cloud store in the increments that I need. Unless things changed recently, MS really prefers you to license Office 365 before they will sell you addition cloud storage. Be careful. They all seems to have drawbacks (methinks I've tried them all at one time or another.). IE: With Google MyDrive, if you copy a .zip file to your cloud storage, it's impossible to unzip that file while it is in the cloud. Google offers nothing with regards to processing .zip files so, if you need to unzip a file(or folder) resident in your Google cloud space, you need to copy it to your pc's hard drive and then unzip it there. There is one 3rd party app that claims to unzip the file automatically (it's a chrome browser extension), but it also first copies from the cloud to your pc, unzips it on the pc and then copies the file (or folder content) back up to your storage space. If you have a slow Internet connection, this becomes painful. Internet speed seems to be the key to using cloud storage. At least that is what I have found.

Anyway, to quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that".

Good luck.

Reaction score

Curious, do you use cloud storage, the likes of Box, Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive?

I would like to use OneDrive. Alas, in the past, using it has seem rather slow (data transfers, along with small file size capacity).
Thoughts...?

Thanks all

I use all of them because they are free up to a point, i don't pay for extra storage space. I rely on local disks for storage and retrieval for 99% of my saved data because its much faster than retrieval from the web despite having GB interfaces

Reaction score

Thoughts...?

Thanks all
I use it, but mostly for a few files that i want to access from more than one computer. Only 5GB.
One problem.
I have a computer that when I do an edits to some files, the name of the computer is appended to the file name, creating much confusion as to version.
. file transfers are fast for me.

Reaction score

Thoughts...?

Thanks all
I use onedrive and dropbox

Reaction score
One Drive is the best as it works perfectly and is secure with all my windows and office 365 files. I've got 1TB of storage which is well over what I need and its excellent for when I'm travelling and also to connect to my PC at home and work tandemly with all my files.

Ask a Question