Code 19 error

Reaction score
I installed/upgraded a w7 laptop to w10. All is well except that it no longer will recognize the dvd drive. Older systems can sometimes be resolved by deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry, but there are none in w10. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Another recommendation is to use system restore to go back to prior to the trouble, but I don't want to go back to w7. Any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try this
Right click the start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) and type
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
hit enter
If you receive any prompts answer in the affirmative, as in Yes, OK, I'm sure, etc., etc.,
type exit to exit the command prompt
reboot your computer.

Reaction score
Try this
Right click the start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) and type
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
hit enter
If you receive any prompts answer in the affirmative, as in Yes, OK, I'm sure, etc., etc.,
type exit to exit the command prompt
reboot your computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It didn't work. Anything else?
Nope, that will usually do it after a reboot.
Nothing other that checking both Device Manager and Disk Management to see if your optical drive is showing up in both places without error in Device Manager and with a proper drive letter in Disk Management.

Reaction score
Disk management doesn't list or see it, and it still has the error in device management. Weird.

Ask a Question