SOLVED Comparing Folders

Reaction score
I'm running WIN10 Home. Over the years the computer has been used by several family members. I'm trying to consolidate files and folders so as to remove any redundancies in preparation to setting up some type of backup strategy. I have briefly reviewed Microsoft WinDiff and WinMerge. I also noted Total Commander, FreeFileSync, SyncFolders, and DSynchronize. So far WinMerge seems to do what I want and does not seem to be too complicated. NOTE: Although I have been using computers for 25+ years, I'm not computer science savvy, so this is a challenge for me. I would appreciate any suggestions on software and would certainly welcome your comments.

Regards,
Neinstein

Reaction score
Did I post in the wrong forum? If so, please let me know as well as what forum I should be posting to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Neinstein

Reaction score
No, you are in the right place. It seems like no one has the perfect solution for you as you have tried already plenty of programs.
As you said yourself, Winmerge seem to do what you want to do with the best results. I'd go with that then. Cleaning up a computer is a lot of work, there is no easy way around it. However, once that it is done, the backup is so much easier.

Reaction score
No, you are in the right place. It seems like no one has the perfect solution for you as you have tried already plenty of programs.
As you said yourself, Winmerge seem to do what you want to do with the best results. I'd go with that then. Cleaning up a computer is a lot of work, there is no easy way around it. However, once that it is done, the backup is so much easier.
Thank you Grizzly. It's nice to get confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Really, thanks for getting back to me.

I'll mark this thread as closed.

Reaction score

Reaction score

OK, now when I try to reply I get this:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You must wait at least 14 seconds before performing this action.

Reaction score

OK, now when I try to reply I get this:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You must wait at least 14 seconds before performing this action.

Ask a Question