SOLVED "f" and "r" Folders in My C:\Windows Directory

Reaction score
I have over 33,000 folders named "f" and over 33,283 folders named "r" in C: \Windows.

24,537 of the "f" folders are in Windows\servicing\LCU\Package_for_RollupFix~[and then a bunch of letters and numbers that relate to windows updates]
3,208 of the "f" folders are in Windows/WinSxS\msil_microsoft[and then another bunch of letters and numbers]
3,948 of the "f" folders are in Windows\WinSxS\TempInFlight[more letters and numbers]
1,460 of the "f" folders are in Windows\WinSxS\x86[more letters and numbers]

...and you get the idea.

Many of the folders are empty while others have one or two DLL files in them. I think that most of the "f" files are related to the Windows 10 updates but I'm not sure. And I cannot delete the \Temp\Inflight\... folders. I've tried a few apps that I got online to delete them but the apps just leave them in place.

So, what are these files and can I safely delete them? I'd be interesting in knowing if others have over 66,000 of these folders like I have...

Reaction score
I have them too. I have three "Package_for_RollupFix..." subfolders. The Date Modified for these are in October, November and December so I suspect they are the dates that I ran Windows Updates. Perhaps they contain data that would be used to roll back to a previous update if necessary, but that's just a guess. I'm going to leave them alone - my entire C: drive only contains 166 GB (I don't store my data on C:)

Reaction score
Guess I'll just hafta leave it alone too.

There's something wrong with having almost 70,000 files each containing a couple lines of code... :confused:

Reaction score
The best thing is, you keep your fingers from the WinSxS Folder
Any modifcation there can destroy the windows installation

Reaction score
There are Commands from Microsoft itself to celan up this Folder
Open Command window as administartor

dism /online /cleanup-image /analyzecomponentstore
this searches for obsolete files and at the end it tells you how many are found

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
this will delete all previousy found files, it runs a long time to finish

Reaction score
I've run those before, but I just did it again. And I still have the 70,000+ "f" and "r" files.

Here are the results of the DISMs:

DISM Results 20230113.jpg

Ask a Question