How can I get Windows Explorer to show A) folders in name order, then B) files in date order?

Reaction score
Hello

How can I set up my Windows Explorer view such that in the right hand pane:
A) At the top of the pane, I see the list of folders in alphabetic order
B) Then I see my files in date last edited order

With thanks

J

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You should be able to change that from with in File Explorer view tab. Open file explorer, click the view tab then move over to the right and click the sort by tab.....play with the views.

Reaction score
To get clear I want a different sort order for the different types of entities.
I want to get folders at the top, sorted alphabetically... but all the files sorted in date modified order. I'm sure I managed to create view that previously.

e.g. If I click on the "Name" column then the Folders are nicely sorted in alphabetic order... but so are the files. That's no good because it's hard to see which file I edited most recently.

But if I click on the column called "Date Modified", then I have to put up with the folders also appearing in the order in which they were created too, rather than seeing them alphabetically.

J

PS If it helps I am happy to have the files grouped by type too....

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
IMO....windows does a poor job with folder orders for each separate folder and files. You might want to search for some 3rd party software that may offer that.

I would look at Stardock first.....look at Groupy....that show promise. Just do a search and see what's out there.

Reaction score
What you want to do is very easy. Follow this:
  1. Right-click in an open area of the details pane and select Sort By from the pop-up menu.
  2. Select how you want to sort: Name, Date Modified, Type, or Size.
  3. Select whether you want the contents sorted in Ascending or Descending order.

Reaction score
What you want to do is very easy. Follow this:
  1. Right-click in an open area of the details pane and select Sort By from the pop-up menu.
  2. Select how you want to sort: Name, Date Modified, Type, or Size.
  3. Select whether you want the contents sorted in Ascending or Descending order.
Sorry @JustinC you completely miss the point.
The crunch problem is that Folders are listed withing the Name column.
I want
A) All the Folders to appear at the top of the Name column,
B) but below that, I want all the other filenames to be sorted by Date Modified.

If I sort just by Name, I get all the filenames put into alphabetical order.
If I sort just by Date Modified, although all the Folders do appear at the top of the page (which is good), those folder are now put into the date that THEY were last modified (which is deeply unhelpful!)

Any other suggestions?

J

Reaction score
I find it to be normal [but maybe not as always desired] when having subfolders and files in a folder, the column headings apply to everything in that folder. Then the subfolders can be set but again any subsubfolders and files in the subfolder will have the same column setting. Confusing???

Reaction score
No, it's not remotely "confusing" to have everything with a column to be sorted by that column.

But not only is it NOT what I want, I also swear that I've seen Windows sort folders in the way that I do want!
i.e. (to recap) The folders at the top, and area always in alphabetical order, and the actual FILES are sorted in any way that I choose - e.g. by Date Modified order.

Ask a Question