Windows Explorer and searching files

Reaction score
Normally when I open an explorer window and lets say click DESKTOP or DOWNLOADS, the display quickly and automaticatcally displays whatever I click on. Occationally when I click on DESKTOP or DOWNLOADS or any other folder for that matter, I see the Quick Access green bar scrolling across like its looking for something. Its very fustrating because I have to WAIT before I can do anything. This also occurs when I am browsing.

I have what I believe is a fairly good system: i7-6700 @ 3.4GHz / 32GB Ram and the drive I'm searching is a SSD drive that's half full. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1903, OS Build 18362.657 - 64 bit OS

At work everything is quick and fast, and those are just "internet" machines with very little power, the size of a cracker jack box.

Of course today its not doing it, as it happens intermittently.

Any thoughts or have others been complaining about this? I appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks

Chaz

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You may first want to spend a moment or two understanding how "indexing" works and how you can use the Indexing Options applet in the Control Panel to adjust that behavior, using the advanced button and the file types tab in reference to what file types you want to index and how you want that indexing done (properties only versus properties and contents).

Additionally, because your question involves an SSD and because there are various schools of thought regarding the indexing of an SSD and FURTHER...
Because some folks install third party or manufacturer software to manage SSD's performance, you may want to do a bit of research and determine, if what you are doing as it relates to Indexing overall and more particularly for your specific SSD, might be impacting what you are seeing.

Ask a Question