Windows File Explorer Search Functions Crippled...

Reaction score
Any time I do a search in File Explorer I get a single instance and then the search bar grays out and I cannot do any more searches unless i close and reopen File explorer. Sometimes even that doesn't work, the grey bar goes away but attempting to put my cursor in the search bar just results in a Windows notification sound this is a disallowed operation. I'm updated to the current version which is 1909, and am up to date with any updates on that build. I've Googled everything I could about the Windows Search feature and nothing I've tried has fixed the problem. Running Windows troubleshooter cannot find anything wrong, i ran sfc /scannow in the command line interface as an admin and no file integrity issues are present. Noticed this problem after upgrading to Windows build 1909 on two separate computers, one an Intel CPU and chipset, the other an AMD CPU and chipset.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• grayed out.PNG
    grayed out.PNG
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
Hi Aymincendiary,

it might be that you are looking for zipped files?, have you installed any unzip apps like Winrar, Peazip or 7-Zip?. :)

Reaction score
No, any file I get this problem. I get one chance to do a search then the search bar grays out and I have to close and reopen file explorer. Thanks for responding though.

Reaction score
No, any file I get this problem. I get one chance to do a search then the search bar grays out and I have to close and reopen file explorer. Thanks for responding though.
Sometimes upon reopening file explorer I can't put my cursor in the search field even when it isn't grayed out and have to sign out and back in my Windows account to get this functionality back.

Reaction score
It's worth checking whether the search service is started. Usually, when I get searching problems, it turns out that the service is not running. Starting it manually solves the problem.

Ask a Question