SOLVED Windows version 1803 File Explorer grossly misreports some folder sizes

Reaction score
I have encountered what to me is a very serious “bug” with the Microsoft Windows 10 version 1803 where the Windows File Explorer grossly misreports some folder sizes. Windows 10 version 1703 does not have this issue. There is an in-depth discussion and identification of the problem described in the Microsoft Forum but as far as I can tell Microsoft has never responded. I’ve provided a link to that discussion below:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-file-explorer-not-showing-correct-folder/933ade81-55e1-4cd5-a4b1-614044fab64e

The first entry in this thread is a bit misleading and is only the tip of the iceberg so read on!

If you are using Windows File Explorer to help you manage file storage this is a very serious problem.

Does anyone in this Forum have any experience or insight into this issue?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I've never had an issue with explorer misreporting folder sizes. If it's an 1803 issue, I wouldn't expect a fix for it since Windows 10 will soon be two versions past that.

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

I apologize for not being clearer in my description of the issue which as I said is quite well documented in the Microsoft Forum. Microsoft has never responded to any of the many comments about this issue in that Forum so I’m reaching out to this Forum for some advice/help in getting Microsoft to do something.

It seems that when the 1803 release came out Microsoft reduced the aggregate file name length from what is documented and what was supported previously, any file structures that are greater than this new and reduced length causes Windows File Explorer to inaccurately report what is actually in the total file structure . I am currently running 1809 on my desktop and the issue that was created in the 1803 release is still present.

The attached Desktop.JPG is what the 1809 system displays as the contents of my “ALL” file located on my network server. This indicates 4,591 Files in 566 Folders for 4.76 GB.

When using my laptop which is running Windows 10 Version 1703 the results of the same file structure as shown in the Laptop.JPG are accurate at 61,003 Files in 3,016 folders for 143 GB. Quite a large difference.

I hope I have done a better job of describing the issue. Anyone who uses the Windows File Explorer to help manage their data and file structures in a Microsoft environment should be very concerned and as shown in my (and many others) situation this Microsoft tool has become unreliable.

Reaction score
Does the Server machine report the correct information? Networks can skew things and best to use the machine the drive is physically attached to for diagnostics. I use 2 NAS drives on my Network and don't seem do have an issue with them. I do use the paid-for Total Commander on my main computer and FreeCommander on others for file management and verification of such things.

Reaction score
Done some browsing now.
It is an ongoing bug, but, oddly, not for all. There are several instances in different forums, but no solution for the bug, merely suggestions for alternative disk reading programs. (Treesize, frequently mentioned.)

Reaction score
In response to Bighorn, I use a Western Digital My Cloud Mirror (Gen 2) stand alone file server on my home network. As far as I know it doesn't have the tools to manage the details of the data that is stored on it.

As davehc says there seems to be no solution for the bug and Microsoft's arrogant silence on the subject is discerning. I have no idea how to get Microsoft's attention which is again frustrating.

Reaction score
It seems that Microsoft has finally been convinced that they broke the File Explore with the 1803 release. Several weeks ago I was assured by Microsoft that it was fixed in the upcoming 1903 release and it seems to now work as it should, (except for a few bytes and files difference between the 1703 version and the 1903 version, but close enough!). Why it took Microsoft so long to listen and acknowledge their screw up is a mystery and very frustrating!

Thanks to all who provided effort in this endeavor!

I’ve attached three images of how the 1703, 1809 and 1903 File Explorer deals with displaying the properties of the same folder. As you can see it is really different by 157.22 GB and 63,614 Files.
Windows 10 Pro Version 1703c.jpg
Windows 10 Pro Version 1809c.jpg
Windows 10 Pro Version 1903c.jpg

Ask a Question