Tabs for Windows Explorer

Reaction score
I know tabs for Explorer got released as a beta then got cancelled. This was disappointing as I was looking forward to an official release rather than relying on third party software.

I have been using Clover since XP days that offer a Google Chrome like tabs that I think are wonderful. The concern I have is that the last stable version was 3.0.406.0 from 2014 (I still use this) then it seemed development fell into the hands of others who included malware. Releases since have been exceedingly dodgy. Antivirus will often flag their website as dangerous.

While the 3.0.406.0 version works perfectly I am concerned that something that was developed in 2014 may now have vulnerabilities.

Explorer Tabs have become such a valuable part of my daily workflow and I find it astounding Microsoft had not jumped on this years ago.

I am curious to learn of the experience of others using various versions of tabs for Explorer and how trusted they are.

Reaction score
So far as I know IE has had tabs for at least the last 10 years maybe 15 years, otherwise I'm not sure what you are talking about. I use both IE and Chrome. FF started the Tabs thing about 20 years ago

Reaction score
... otherwise I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Not web browsers - I am talking of tabs for File Explorer.

I work as a graphic & web designer and constantly moving through file and folder locations - I could not imagine working without tabs anymore.

Reaction score
So far as I know IE has had tabs for at least the last 10 years maybe 15 years, otherwise I'm not sure what you are talking about. I use both IE and Chrome. FF started the Tabs thing about 20 years ago
I have attached an image of how the Clover tabs appear in Explorer. I can drag to reorder tabs, drag to another screen (I use two). Shift-click to open in a new tab.

There is a bookmarks bar (hidden in image) that I can drag and drop locations to.

I am promoting the idea of tabs - I would like their to be an Official Microsoft version.

I am curious about similar products others have tried.
Clover.jpg

Reaction score
I have attached an image of how the Clover tabs appear in Explorer. I can drag to reorder tabs, drag to another screen (I use two). Shift-click to open in a new tab.

There is a bookmarks bar (hidden in image) that I can drag and drop locations to.

I am promoting the idea of tabs - I would like their to be an Official Microsoft version.

I am curious about similar products others have tried.
View attachment 10481
Another option might be Stardock's Groupy, although it's not free. ($9.95). Still, not a bad price.

Reaction score
From where we can get the Stable verion explorer with Tabs.

There is no 'stable version Explorer with Tabs.' Microsoft recently announced they are killing their tabbed Explorer (as opposed to IE) interface, so you have to make due with freebies like Clover, QTTabBar, or for a small fee ($9.95 USD), Stardock's Groupy, to incorporate tabs into Windows Explorer.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've approved the two posts above, but note that Clover is superior to QTTabbar.

Both will work but QT's version is a little unstable at times.

Reaction score
I've approved the two posts above, but note that Clover is superior to QTTabbar.

Both will work but QT's version is a little unstable at times.
True about the unstability, which is why I quit using it. Only mentioned it because it is out there. :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Microsoft recently announced they are killing their tabbed Explorer

I was just chatting about Microsoft's Set's [ tabs in explorer ] earlier today. Do you have a link to this announcement you mentioned.

My understanding was Microsoft were putting the project on hold until they complete their Edge project given Sets will be relying on Edge, but if that has changed, as your post suggests, I'd like to know.

Your post snuck in just before mine, so when I posted that I've approved the above two posts - I meant the two above yours ;)

Cheers,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I was just chatting about Microsoft's Set's [ tabs in explorer ] earlier today. Do you have a link to this announcement you mentioned.

My understanding was Microsoft were putting the project on hold until they complete their Edge project given Sets will be relying on Edge, but if that has changed, as your post suggests, I'd like to know.

Your post snuck in just before mine, so when I poste I've approved the above two posts - I meant the two above yours ;)

Cheers,

Regedit32
Ah, okay. Not the first time I've been quick on the fingers (I type fast)...no worries. ;)

Reaction score
I have been using Clover since XP days that offer a Google Chrome like tabs that I think are wonderful. The concern I have is that the last stable version was 3.0.406.0 from 2014 (I still use this) then it seemed development fell into the hands of others who included malware. Releases since have been exceedingly dodgy. Antivirus will often flag their website as dangerous.

Last time I had used an update to Clover it started giving popups of something that looked like a Chinese bondage site. I could see an AV considering that dangerous. This was on more than one machine, and the machines checked out clean otherwise.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well, maybe 'killed' is an exaggeration on my part,

How would Trump put it?! Fake news *lol*

Thanks for the link to the video - I suspect it will be some time yet before anything is done about it - it's not exactly a high priority in my opinion. I'd rather see improvements made to the built in Windows apps first.

Reaction score
How would Trump put it?! Fake news *lol*

Thanks for the link to the video - I suspect it will be some time yet before anything is done about it - it's not exactly a high priority in my opinion. I'd rather see improvements mad to the built in Windows apps first.

More than likely, that's exactly how Trump would put it. :) You're probably right, though--I would imagine it's not a very high priority, either.

Reaction score
Last time I had used an update to Clover it started giving popups of something that looked like a Chinese bondage site. I could see an AV considering that dangerous. This was on more than one machine, and the machines checked out clean otherwise.
Yes - that is why I mentioned the last stable version was 3.0.406.0 (I have linked it above).

In the early development I exchanged several emails with the developer. At the time I was using multiple computers with different Windows OS and would pass on information about bugs that I would discover and I would be asked to test out beta versions. The email exchanges were polite and friendly.

Then suddenly, after 3.0.406.0, the product was full of malware and very buggy. My antivirus would kick up warnings on the releases and of the website.

Many people mentioned this on their blog - all comments went unanswered, as my attempt to contact via the original email.

Ask a Question