Windows 10 seems to have reset. All files, folders and cookies gone. Recovery possible?

Reaction score
I am not sure if it is Windows or Lenovo problem. I plugged in my iPhone to my latpop for the first time and left it charging overnight. I had tabs open in Chrome at the time. I closed the computer (did not shut down). When I opened the laptop in the morning I noticed Chrome was closed. When I opened it none of my accounts gmail, work sites et cetera were no longer coming up automatically when I began to type them and all usernames and passwords were no longer there. I then noticed that all of my files and folders on my desktop were no longer there. I cannot find them anywhere on the computer.

Most important to me are the files. I have many of them backed up, but would like to recover them. I am not sure exactly what the problem is. My McAfee free trial also ended that same morning that I woke up and found my computer essentially in reset mode.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
My first suggestion would be to perform a full shut down and then a normal restart (not a warm reboot).
It sounds like you may have some profile corruption.
After you've managed to restart your computer from a full shut down, have a look at C:\Users\YourUserName
See if your files are there in the appropriate subfolders.

Reaction score
Hi, and thank you for the welcome.

I have tried that. When I go to C:\Users\ .....the next option is for "\Default, \Public or \Temp". I am not seeing "YourUserName". Apologies if I am missing something quite basic!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
"YourUserName" would be the name associated with the account that you've been using to log onto the computer with, which I assume is
neither Default, Public nor Temp
When you log on with a username and password it should automatically generate a profile folder associated with those credentials.

IF those are the only three folders present, then I would expect that you are receiving some error messages regarding your user profile when logging on.

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for the delay. I am out of country and was away from internet for a few days. I do not have any login issues. My fingerprint, password and pin all work and are associated with my name. With everything being reset from the computer that was the only thing that remained. Everything else seems to have defaulted. It lets me log in, but here is a screenshot of what it shows. Perhaps I am going about it wrong

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are there perhaps any additional partitions or actual physical drives attached to this computer that may be hosting your user profile??
If you are successfully logging in to the system with a user account and password then your user profile must be somewhere unless for some reason it has a "system" or "hidden" attribute assigned in which case it might be invisible with common settings.

The "TEMP" profile folder is not normal, but.....
I would think if you are being logged on with a temporary account you would see some type of messages to that effect.

Can you launch a command prompt and simply type
whoami
and hit enter and see who the system thinks you are.
IT should return something like this

Reaction score
A thought. I am a VERY inexperienced iPhone user. I have had numerous small, but irritating problems, with Synchronising and not. This has also included my Ipad. Is it possible that something of this nature had occurred? Se if you can get a clue from examining your iPhone??
As Trouble suggests "Are there perhaps any additional partitions or actual physical drives attached to this computer that may be hosting your user profile"

Ask a Question