How can I get Notepad to show white margins on the top and sides, like in Windows Vista/7?

Reaction score
I recently got a Windows 10 computer that I've been customizing to visually resemble my previously-owned Windows Vista & 7 computers. I'm making great progress towards finalizing my customization, but I've hit a bit of a roadblock.

I want Notepad to show those little white margins at the top & sides of the program window, like it used to do on Windows Vista & Windows 7. See here:
  • No margin
    Notepad without margin
  • With margin
    Notepad with margin
The problem is, I've tried numerous searches on Google about dealing with this issue, only to hardly get any results!

Can anyone please help me out?

Reaction score
An issue with Notepad is that it is a plain text editor, not a word processor like WordPad, very few settings changes one can make. Both programs are listed in Start, W section, Windows Accessories and both can be Pinned to Start and Taskbar.

With the text you show you could simply hit the Tab key at the beginning of each line to get white space on the left and hit Enter at the end of each line to get the space and move to the start of the next line.

There is always a possibility it won't print the same way but my test print just now did show the text using a 2" margin I set in Page Setup but that change wasn't visible in the Notepad window.

Reaction score
An issue with Notepad is that it is a plain text editor, not a word processor like WordPad, very few settings changes one can make. Both programs are listed in Start, W section, Windows Accessories and both can be Pinned to Start and Taskbar.

With the text you show you could simply hit the Tab key at the beginning of each line to get white space on the left and hit Enter at the end of each line to get the space and move to the start of the next line.

There is always a possibility it won't print the same way but my test print just now did show the text using a 2" margin I set in Page Setup but that change wasn't visible in the Notepad window.
Thanks for your help, although I was hoping someone could find a registry tweak or third-party software or something else to add the margins in Notepad that I'm looking for. :-(

Reaction score
You might try some of the third-party/alternate programs such as Notepad++. I usually check with www.majorgeeks.com when looking for useful software.

As I mentioned, Notepad is a text editor, for years has been used by software programmers and for raw HTML composing/editing as it does not add hidden formatting that could skew what is being done.

Reaction score
I cannot test it, but I do not think there has ever been an option to give notepad any margins. The page setup, under the file tab, only changes them for printing.
But, maybe what you are seeking - In thóse days, the default font was courier. Change to that and see if it is enough.

Ask a Question