Notepad opens on boot up

Reaction score
When I boot up, reboot, Windows Notepad opens automatically with an error box "! Access Denied" - when I ok that it leaves a Notepad blank screen open. I close that and boot up is complete and I can work normally.

Driving me nuts! any ideas? Cannot see anything in startup.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the taskbar, choose task manager select the startup tab
See what's there, if anything references notepad..... right click it and choose disable

Reaction score
All looks clear. See attached file. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• startup.JPG
    startup.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 567
Reaction score
Deleted all startup items. Problem still occurs. Only change is that options do not appear when I right click taskbar. Restoring windows host process (rundll32) makes it work again. But notepad still launches.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go back an un-do whatever you might have done previously using autoruns, then....

Try clean booting the system and see if that produces any relief. Run it like that for a day or two and check Windows Update manually in the interim to make sure everything is up to date.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
Easily done and easily undone.
You're basically just disabling all Startup Items and all non-Microsoft services. Do no mess with the Microsoft services. Be sure to check the box to hide them before proceeding.

Ask a Question