Another Windows 10 disaster as Free Solitare dsappears and I go Apple.

BML

Reaction score
Every so often as I'm working on a paper I break away for a hand of Solitaire but Windows has made such a mess of it that's gone and so will I be as I look for an alternative platform. Do Windows care? Do they hell.

Reaction score
There's plenty of alternatives to Windows. Apple wouldn't be my choice, but I'm a Linux guy.

I'm assuming you're talking about Microsoft Solitare Suite. But since you weren't very specific in your post, it's hard to tell. I don't use the app anymore, I play it online. Microsoft Solitaire Collection

Reaction score
I still use the games from Win7/Win8 on both Win10 32-bit and 64-bit. Only issue I've had is that a version Upgrade such as from 1803 to 1809 will remove them but only takes a few minutes to reinstall from the .exe/executable file I keep in the Downloads Folders. I had a MacBook Pro from Mid-2010 but when the hard drive controller went bad I determined the repair cost to be too great/not cost-effective so my Linux Mint computers plus Windows computers will suffice for all my needs. There's only a few older programs that I use that don't have a Linux-compatible version.

Reaction score
I play the MS solitaire . It has, in the last week, had an upgrade, which has offered more "ranks" and options. Apart from that, it sails along gracefully and has never given me problems.
With respect, the problem could be yours and not that of Microsoft.
If you want to try Linux, you might find this interesting:

Reaction score
I've played with ReactOS a little bit. It's intriguing, but is a bit buggy and has been in alpha for a quite a long time.

Reaction score
I've played with ReactOS a little bit. It's intriguing, but is a bit buggy and has been in alpha for a quite a long time.

Did you read the link? I know little about it, but they are claiming with this release, it can run many Windows programs.

Reaction score
Like Bighorn I play the old w7 games. W10 upgrades will delete the games but fortunately they keep the scores.

We will see what happens with the 1903 update.

Reaction score
Did you read the link? I know little about it, but they are claiming with this release, it can run many Windows programs.
I haven't tried this release. I used the one that came out in December, and it was pretty buggy. I'll have to fire this version up in a VM and play with it.

Reaction score
The ReactOS I downloaded from SourceForge today is not actually a LiveDVD or LiveCD like many versions of Linux, actually has to be installed. But the resultant disc that is created from the .iso file is bootable and gives some choices/information. I'm going to change an HDD and install to test it.

Reaction score
Tried ReactOS on an HP G60 Notebook with 4GB RAM and 120GB HDD, booted to the CD created from the .iso file. It loaded the ntoskrnl file then a message loading boot drivers then after a minute of the CD running just died, no further action. I'll try a different download of the .iso file later on.

This page shows both a Boot CD and a Live CD, the links go to SourceForge. I had gotten the Boot CD, just now finished the Live CD and going to try it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had it up and running on one of my old laptops, but after attempting to install drivers, it would just blue screen on boot. I guess it still isn't ready for prime time.

BML

Reaction score
I play the MS solitaire . It has, in the last week, had an upgrade, which has offered more "ranks" and options. Apart from that, it sails along gracefully and has never given me problems.
With respect, the problem could be yours and not that of Microsoft.
If you want to try Linux, you might find this interesting:

AS a somewhat technical incompetent I am willing to accept that the problem could be of my causing but could you offer me advice as to how I can determine that. By the way there are a veritable host of the same complaint that I made.

Reaction score
As Bigfeet suggested (Post#2) you will hyave to give a little more explanation. What do you mean, for example, by "Gone"

BML

Reaction score
Ever since I started to use Windows I have indulged myself when I felt like a break from what I was working on with a game of solitaire but it appears to have disappeared. When I click on to the solitaire icon it appears to open but then a line of squares appears the first one being a picture of a Bear. when I click onto it things that look like a slot machine spinning appear. There is no sign of the old solitaire. I read on one of the computer forums that this is endemic, the result of a recent Windows 10 update.

Reaction score
You still haven't said what solitaire game we are talking about. Microsoft Solitaire Collection???? If so, have you attempted to uninstall and reinstall it? Also, as per my link in post #2, the exact same solitaire game can be accessed online. We can't help if we don't know details.

BML

Reaction score
I might have said that I'm not that I'm not that technical because quite frankly I have no idea what Solitaire I use. Could you tell me how I find that out please. I have just read that Microsoft removed Solitaire and several other games as 'default install' for Windows 10 but it can be downloaded through the Windows Store. I have to go now to prepare for fishing.

Reaction score
It's Microsoft Solitaire Collection if it's what came on Windows 10. Just click the start menu, scroll down to the Microsoft Store. Click on it. Type Microsoft Solitaire Collection in the search box in the upper right and hit enter. It should be the first result. Click on that and click the install button.

Reaction score
On my RTM version and my IP version Start menus the Microsoft Solitaire Collection icon is just above the Microsoft Store icon. I just played Mahjong and noticed a lot of things on the screen showing Xbox, wondering if removing that will have an effect on the Solitaire Collection.

BML

Reaction score
It's Microsoft Solitaire Collection if it's what came on Windows 10. Just click the start menu, scroll down to the Microsoft Store. Click on it. Type Microsoft Solitaire Collection in the search box in the upper right and hit enter. It should be the first result. Click on that and click the install button.

I'm unable to find the start menu.

Ask a Question