Windows seems to have a schedule to shut down without my permission

Reaction score
I've been getting frustrated using my computer every Wednesday. No matter what time of day I turn my computer on for the first time during the course of the day (whether 7AM or 8PM), about 10 minutes after I have it on, it shuts down. Not like a random shut down, but like I've gone to the start menu and selected to shut down--except I haven't. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing or whether I'm online or not. I might be offline (without even a browser window open) and writing (I'm an author), I could be working with audio software (also a podcaster), or I might be writing a note in my browser to a fan or something else. It doesn't matter. I've noticed it's always 10 - 15 minutes after I turn it on for the first time on Wednesdays. I've never left it off all day Wednesday to see if this will happen on a Thursday, but I've talked to other authors and they've experienced the same thing, though on different days. (For some, it's Monday, some Thursday, some other days.)

This is *NOT* associated with any updates. This is definitely happening on a predictable schedule, yet I still forget about it because I'm not thinking about that when I'm replying to an e-mail or already in a zone when it comes to writing. I'd happily do a shut down on my own schedule if it let me, but it doesn't even warn me and ask if it's a good time. (Incredibly rude!) For updates, I have my active times from 8AM to 8PM, and it ignores this rule since I've sat down to work for the first time of the day at 10AM and it will do the shut down.

My laptop is nearly two years old, a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series, and I can't recall it doing this until some updates in the autumn.

Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Have you looked in the power profiles on how these settings are set? you may have it set to [power savings]. Open [settings] then click on [SYSTEM]. click on [power&sleep] and check your settings

Reaction score
That was one of the first things I did when I realized my problem. I've messed with the settings, changed them, but nothing seems to affect it. I rarely run my laptop without the power cord at least nearby if it's not plugged in, and this isn't a power problem. It's happening when it's plugged in and active, and I've checked for overheating as well, and it's not overheating. It's going into a standard shut down as though I just instructed it to do so. Always on Wednesday, always 10 - 15 minutes after I've turned it on for the day. No warnings. It's not updates because I get messages from those asking my permission.

Reaction score
It seems like a hardware issue and, although you have checked, an overheating problem. How did you check the temperatures?
Outside, and very unlikely ,is the possibility of a virus.

Reaction score
Since when did that happen??
Do you have by chance a program installed that will shut your pc down?
What about the "maintenance" section? is there something running that can cause this problem?

Running out of ideas here....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like a "Scheduled Task" to me, since it's happening on a specific day, within a certain amount of time after Startup, those sound like triggers.
Finding it might be a bit of a problem though

C:\Windows\System32\Tasks
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\Taskcache\Tasks
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\Taskcache\Tree

Reaction score
Trouble, this may be an idea: remember the 2 minute shutdown?? could this be similar?? I know the 2minute shutdown was never specific to a day but nevertheless, could it be?

Reaction score
It does sound like a scheduled task. Maybe an antivirus or cleaning program running every in the background and requires a restart to clean the junk?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK, it could be anything.
Some third party product that is performing a scan, backup, update, etc., etc., and has a shutdown command appended to the task.
Maybe you could check
Event Viewer -> Applications and Service -> Microsoft -> Windows ->Task scheduler -> Maintenance ( OR Operational) paying particular attention to the Date(s) and Time(s) that coincide with what is happening and see if there is any clue there that might suggest what might be happening.
Although it may be independent of the actual Windows Task Scheduler and a product of third party software.

Reaction score
I don't use Windows Defender, would Defender require a restart to complete its task?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't use Windows Defender, would Defender require a restart to complete its task?
Not under any circumstances that I know of, and......
The OP describes a "Shutdown" rather than a "Restart" either of which could be scheduled.

The reason I don't subscribe to a hardware problem or for that matter an OS problem, is......
That the OP doesn't report any other problems or symptoms on any other days except Wednesday and then only shortly after first starting the computer.
Other than that I will assume, until informed otherwise, that the computer and all software performs as expected.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've used Speedfan for years on this and older computers. I've also felt it and it's nowhere NEAR hot enough to necessitate a shut down for heat (not that feeling it is a great indicator, but my husband also owns a laser heat sensor and I've checked it and it's fine.) And that doesn't explain why it would be nigh-on predictable as to when it chose to shut down. I had a computer that DID shut down--frequently!--due to overheating, even after I replaced the fan on it, and it just flat-out shut off--didn't go through a shut down process. This is a predictable thing. Wednesdays. 10 minutes after I turn it on. Not Thursday, not Saturday, but Wednesdays.

And as I said in my initial post, I know of others running Win 10 and they have a similar problem--totally different machines--but on different days.

I've already done the dumb stuff--checking for overheating, checking settings. Nothing I can find with my knowledge level seems to be the issue, and I've gone digging.

Reaction score
Not under any circumstances that I know of, and......
The OP describes a "Shutdown" rather than a "Restart" either of which could be scheduled.

The reason I don't subscribe to a hardware problem or for that matter an OS problem, is......
That the OP doesn't report any other problems or symptoms on any other days except Wednesday and then only shortly after first starting the computer.
Other than that I will assume, until informed otherwise, that the computer and all software performs as expected.

Other than being somewhat slower than my husband would like, the machine works within what I would consider acceptable limits. This particular issue is incredibly frustrating if I'm already in the middle of something and lose all that data--whether it's an e-mail or work on an audio or graphics file or the like.

Reaction score
The OP mentioned the PC was a laptop. And doesn't describe the start up procedure after it shuts down. It's possible It could be the power savings battery settings that's set to shut down the PC when on battery and the battery has x% life remaining.

Reaction score
The OP mentioned the PC was a laptop. And doesn't describe the start up procedure after it shuts down. It's possible It could be the power savings battery settings that's set to shut down the PC when on battery and the battery has x% life remaining.

But only on Wednesdays??? If it does shut down all the time I would agree with you....

In this case I am out of ideas......

Reaction score
OH. I didn't spot, in her first post, that it is only on Wednesdays. Fascinating.

Referring to trouble's post, why not clean out the event viewer before switching off Tuesday, and see what it has to say on the Wednesday?
Fwiw. Imho, it would be a hacker with an awful lot of time on his hands who would construct a virus to do that, but, there have been antivirus programs, in the nature of those which detect outside interference, which did shut down when observed -but once a week??????

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just had another thought. Are you running a third party backup program?

With, for example, Acronis, it is possible to schedule a backup (Wednesday??) followed by a shutdown.

Reaction score
dave I like your thought. I think most backup programs will shut down the PC if the box is checked to shutdown computer when complete. I know for sure that Acronis and Aomei will do that if selected.

Reaction score
if it is happening only on 1 day of the week, it's a task. I suggest that until you fix the problem, as you write, hit the ctrl +s a lot to save your work

Ask a Question