Windows seems to have a schedule to shut down without my permission

Reaction score
WinKey+R -> Taskschd.msc -> OK
  • Select Task Scheduler Library folder -> Action -> Enable All Tasks History
    • Microsoft doesn't default this for some reason, and it should be
  • Selecting Task Scheduler Library will also show all tasks set to run that day, which should allow you to quickly narrow down what task is causing it.
I would also check your Windows Update settings, as you may have configured Windows Update to auto install updates on a Wed, or, if updates were not able to fully installed on [Patch] Tuesday, and the updates finished installing after booting the PC on Wed, it's likely Windows Update is the culprit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't know about Win 10, but Win 7 does use Wednesday as it's default for disk defrag if run as a scheduled task. Don't know if that in itself would shut down on finish unless it can be configured or cause other add ons to react. If it's as regular and predictable as this, then it's definitely a scheduled task. Main reason I switched back to 7 was nothing does anything without my say so.

Ask a Question