Compatibility, how to see if it is functioning?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new, to here and to Win10.

How can you tell if Compatibility is sticking? I set compatibility for MS-Flightsim, click apply and then Ok. Then I check the properties again and it's as if I changed nothing. Either it hasn't stuck or it only shows defaults. Several times I've had Windows tell me that it has changed compatibility for FSX itself, but when I check the properties of the exe file, again it shows only the default settings.

Also, I installed FSX in C:\Flightsim (i.e. not under Program Files) so that there will be less issues with UAC. FSX is fine with this and also recommended in the Flightsim communities.

My computer is a 2 week old Toshiba laptop, which I immediately upgraded to Win10. (Toshiba has a sticker on it saying "This PC is optimized for Windows 10"). It's a mid spec laptop with a 2.4GHz Intel i7 CPU, an nVidia GeForece 930M GPU and 8GB RAM.

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You're not being ignored, it's just that your question is very specific and apparently involves only a single game and it might be better directed to a specific support community that are better versed at troubleshooting issues related to that game.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I don't have a sense that we have a large gamer membership and probably even less so when it comes to MS-Flightsim which I assume mean Microsoft Flight Simulator and maybe more specifically Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Reaction score
No, this is not a Flightsim issue, it's an issue of how to work with compatibility. And I think I found the answer. (But I'm willing to be corrected!)

With previous versions of Windows, you could set compatibility directly. But with Win 10 it seems compatibility only works if you use the compatibility troubleshooter.

When I tried to select an o/s directly (from the compatibility tab), it would not stick. I would make a change, then close the properties box, then re-open the properties box to find compatibility was still turned off.

But if I used the troubleshooter and selected an o/s from there, it would stick. By that method, I first selected WinXP/SP3 and tested, next I again used the compatibility troubleshooter to change it to Win 7.

Ask a Question