Office 365/ Outlook compatibility issue with Nuance Dragon

Reaction score
My operating system is Windows 10. I use Outlook to create and receive emails in Office 365. I also use Nuance Dragon for voice dictation (professional version 15). Every time I go to highlight incorrectly typed words in an Outlook email and then try to correct them with a Nuance Dragon voice-over command, Outlook immediately shuts down and then restarts. When Outlook restarts I have lost the email that I was preparing and I have to start over again. This problem has only started recently. I have being using the 2 software's with no issues for months. I contacted Nuance Dragon tech support and they told me it was a compatibility issue between Office 365 and Nuance Dragon. They had actually heard about this problem from other users. They had no solution and suggested that I type all my emails in what is called the Dictation box. Once I have correctly completed the email in the dictation box, I should transfer it into Outlook and then send it. I would prefer to prepare my emails directly in Outlook as before. I am not having this problem with any other Office 365 programs like Word or Excel. Has anybody experienced this issue, and if so, are you aware of any solutions? Thanks!

Reaction score
My initial thought was that Dragon prefers the installed version of Outlook but Office 2016 appears not to have that, have to use the subscription-based Office 365. Just a guess but it could explain why your other applications work and Outlook doesn't. Historically speaking, the first time I saw issues with Outlook was back with Office 97, soon got Outlook 98 by itself to correct most of them.

Reaction score
My initial thought was that Dragon prefers the installed version of Outlook but Office 2016 appears not to have that, have to use the subscription-based Office 365. Just a guess but it could explain why your other applications work and Outlook doesn't. Historically speaking, the first time I saw issues with Outlook was back with Office 97, soon got Outlook 98 by itself to correct most of them.

Upon further investigation I have realized that the problem I have is not limited to Dragon. It is actually an Outlook 365 problem. When I go to highlight some words to correct in Outlook, the computer freezes momentarily, then Outlook crashes and restarts within a few moments. If I am in the middle of an email all that I've typed is lost and not saved as a draft. This has happened numerous times and I have tried it with Dragon and without Dragon. So the problem is really an Outlook 365 problem. I do not have this problem with any of the other Microsoft programs such as Word or Publisher. Has anybody experienced this or have any solutions?

Reaction score
This is an ongoing issue - i have windows 10 and Dragon13 in outlook 365. and as you say highlighting a word - outlook stops and resatrts.

Reaction score
This is an ongoing issue - i have windows 10 and Dragon13 in outlook 365. and as you say highlighting a word - outlook stops and resatrts.
I am also having this problem on a brand new Surface Pro 7. I feel aprticualrly aggrieved because I sent back a Pro-X and bought the Pro 7, when I discovered that DNS was not compatible with the Pro-X's new Qualcom processor, only to now discover that DNS won't work safely in Outlook and, in fact has actually deleted emails that I've been working on.

Reaction score
Being disabled, I use Dragon all the time along with Microsoft Outlook 2016 but not the subscription service. I know this is not going to help you but I do not have any problems with the 2 programs conflicting. Therefore, my conclusion would be that the problem must lay with Office 365.

Have you tried asking about your problem in the KnowBrainer Forums?
http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm

HB

Reaction score
I am also having this problem on a brand new Surface Pro 7. I feel aprticualrly aggrieved because I sent back a Pro-X and bought the Pro 7, when I discovered that DNS was not compatible with the Pro-X's new Qualcom processor, only to now discover that DNS won't work safely in Outlook and, in fact has actually deleted emails that I've been working on.

One thing that I would say about Nuance/DNS here in the UK anyway, is that the on-line support is really good - after I posted above, I sent an email to which I had the following reply within hours and fortunately, the installation of 15.3 worked for me so I didn't have to get into the tortuous process of printing screens etc -

"Thank you for contacting Nuance Technical Support. This email is regarding the integration issue that you were encountering with Dragon Professional Individual 15.
The issue is probably related to the version of Dragon installed on your computer: usually Outlook 365 crashes when Dragon is not update to version 15.30.
Please make about the version of your Dragon by accessing the Help > About section of the Dragon Bar.

If you are running Dragon version 15.00, please follow the instructions below to update to version 15.30:
1. Download the update at http://supportcontent.nuance.com/dragon/15/DPIND153/DPI15DOT3.exe
2. Close Dragon and all 3rd-party applications.
3. Double-click the "DPI15DOT3.exe" file.
4. Follow the InstallShield Wizard instructions.

If you are running Dragon version 15.30, please reply to this email attaching the following files:

- System Information File:
1. On the keyboard, hold down the WINDOWS key and then hit R.
2. In the Run window, type MSINFO32 and then click OK.
3. In the System Information window, click the File menu and then Save.
4. Enter a filename and make sure the Save as type is set to "System Information File (*.NFO)", then save the file to the Desktop and attach to the email

- Dragon.log:
1. Click "Start > Dragon > Show Dragon Log
2. Save a copy of Dragon.log on the desktop
3. Upload the Dragon.log for further review.

- Windows User Account properties window:
1. Press the [Windows] key and the [R] key at the same time on the keyboard.
2. Type, or copy and paste this command: “netplwiz” and press [Enter].
3. Press the [Print Scrn] key on the keyboard, next to [F12] key.
4. Open an application such as Microsoft Word or Microsoft Paint document. You can paste several screenshot within the same Word document.
5. Click "Edit > Paste" to paste the screenshot into the new document.
6. Save the new document to the Windows desktop, then upload the file for review.

- Screenshot showing the Help about menu of Outlook:
1. Open Outlook
2. Click on File > Account
3. With the information shown please press the "Print Scrn" key next to F12
4. Open a Word document or Paint
5. Right click in the document then paste the image in
6. Click again on File > Account
7. Click on About Outlook
8. With the information shown please press the "Print Scrn" key next to F12
9. Open a Word document or Paint
10. Right click in the document then paste the image in
11. Send the file in for review

- Screenshot showing the Add-ins of Outlook:
1. Open Outlook
2. Click on File > Options > Add-ins
3. With the information shown please press the "Print Scrn" key next to F12
4. Open a Word document or Paint
5. Right click in the document then paste the image in
6. In the Add-ins windows, click the GO button, next to Manage COM add-ins
7. With the information shown please press the "Print Scrn" key next to F12
8. Open a Word document or Paint
9. Right click in the document then paste the image in
10. Send the file in for review

Eventually, be advised that depending on the size of the files you may have to send them by logging into your Nuance registration account at http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/utils/login_form. Once logged in, access the incident 200220-000133 under the section 'My Questions' and reply from there (you will be able to upload files up to 20 MB in size).

I will be waiting to hear from you, and thank you for your cooperation."

Reaction score
I was assuming that the OP was already using DPI 15.3. If he is only using DPI 15, then he definitely needs to update to 15.3 that is a free update.

HB

Reaction score
I tried installing the Dragon 15.3 update but I get an error message saying that "Some files or folders in the C\Program Files(x86)\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\Program are locked." Does anyone know how to unlock these? I am hoping to be able to use Dragon without having it constantly crash Word and Outlook. Thank you!

Reaction score
I tried installing the Dragon 15.3 update but I get an error message saying that "Some files or folders in the C\Program Files(x86)\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\Program are locked." Does anyone know how to unlock these? I am hoping to be able to use Dragon without having it constantly crash Word and Outlook. Thank you!
I would asking Nuance. Their support, in the UK at least, is prompt and helpful.

Reaction score
My operating system is Windows 10. I use Outlook to create and receive emails in Office 365. I also use Nuance Dragon for voice dictation (professional version 15). Every time I go to highlight incorrectly typed words in an Outlook email and then try to correct them with a Nuance Dragon voice-over command, Outlook immediately shuts down and then restarts. When Outlook restarts I have lost the email that I was preparing and I have to start over again. This problem has only started recently. I have being using the 2 software's with no issues for months. I contacted Nuance Dragon tech support and they told me it was a compatibility issue between Office 365 and Nuance Dragon. They had actually heard about this problem from other users. They had no solution and suggested that I type all my emails in what is called the Dictation box. Once I have correctly completed the email in the dictation box, I should transfer it into Outlook and then send it. I would prefer to prepare my emails directly in Outlook as before. I am not having this problem with any other Office 365 programs like Word or Excel. Has anybody experienced this issue, and if so, are you aware of any solutions? Thanks!

I am using Dragon Professional 14 and have this exact issue with Outlook (Office 365) - has a solution been worked out, please?

Reaction score
Matt,

This is quite an old thread. As I have said above, I would advise that you join the KnowBrainer Forums and ask your question there.

http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm

It is a dedicated site and free advice on Dragon issues and there are many knowledgeable people in there that will know the answer to your question. You'll get an answer after you have posted your question relatively quickly. This will be a much better way to get your answer than going through Nuance for an answer.

HB

Ask a Question