Open Office 95 Files in Office 365

Reaction score
How can I get Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in Office 365 (2016) to open Office 95 files? Office 365 throws an error message that it does not support those versions anymore.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think you may be able to open it if you go to File > Options > Trust Centre > Trust Centre Settings > File Block settings and then un-check the box next to Word 95. I tried this on my machine, but I don't have an old file to test it with. Here's a screenshot of the part you need:

Capture.PNG

It's blocked for security reasons, but you can force it to open the file if you wish (and only if you trust the file!).

Please let me know if that works :).

Reaction score
I tried this but PP will still not open *.ppt files from 1994 or Office 95. I even loaded Open Office and Libre Office - no luck either.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does it work for Word and Excel?

If it doesn't work for PowerPoint alone (and Open Office/Libre Office can't) then you may need to find an older version of PowerPoint that can save an intermediary version. Perhaps PP 2003. If it's just a few files, I'm sure you could find someone able to convert them for you :).

Ask a Question