Open Office 4.1.2 documents keep relocking after move to Windows 10

Reaction score
Unsure if this is a Windows 10 issue or an Open Office one.
I changed to a new laptop from my old one running Windows 7.
My Open Office documents relock so I can't edit them when I unlock then.
I have tried both selecting my 'Documents' folder and unlocking everything (including sub folders and files) and also deleting ~lock files for individual files without much luck as they just reappear. I'm guessing that maybe Windows 10 backs them up and syncs the unlocked files from the backup so they relock?
I have also noticed that under System permissions in 'Document Properties' every column is ticked but greyed out under both my username and administrator.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Initially I thought that miught have done the trick. I set up Take Ownership and then selected my Documents folder and unlocked it all. I was able to access everything for editing for a short while but random ~locks are again reappearing on documents I have opened!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Make sure that your user name has explicit full control of your Documents folder, subfolders and files.
Go to C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents
Right click it and choose properties, select the security tab
See who has full control.
If your username isn't there then you need to add it
AND
When you do, make sure you cascade that down to all child objects.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Step #1
Right click the Documents folder again and choose properties.
From along the top choose the "Security" tab.
In the box titled "Group or user names:"
We want to explicitly grant your "User name" full control to that directory, sub folders and files, so......
Click the "edit" button just underneath that box.
In the resultant windows click the "add" button
Click the "Advanced" button
Click the "Find Now" button
In the "Search results" box at the bottom find and double click your User Name
Click OK
Now select your user name and examine your permissions in the box labeled "Permissions for Your User Name"
By default they will generally be only " Read & Execute, List folder contents and Read"
We need to change that by checking the box at the top of the left column under "Allow" "Full control"
AND click OK

Step #2
Unfortunately we are not completely finished.
Now click the advanced button again
Select your user name from the list
Click the "Disable inheritance" button
Select the "Convert" option from the prompt Window.
Now.....
Check the box at the bottom that says
"Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permissions entries from this object"
That will cascade all your changes down to sub folder and files.
Answer the prompt in the affirmative when asked if you are sure.
And may take a while also depending on the amount of data present.
Click OK
Again if any prompts are presented, answer in the affirmative. While OK'ing your way back out of any and all open windows or dialog boxes.
Now we're done and if you've been patient enough to follow all of the above correctly you should now be able to save to, and or edit, anything in your documents folder.

Reaction score
Looked like the inheritance might be the problem as I already had ownership of the documnets directory. I followed all the steps and it cleared all the locks on the documents right through the folder, was able to work on them for a brief while now they have all come back! Could it be that I need to go further up than the documents folder to disable the inheritance?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it cleared all the locks on the documents right through the folder, was able to work on them for a brief while now they have all come back!
What has come back??
Are you getting some error, when you are manipulating these files??
Can you move, edit, delete them?? Can you save new items into the parent container / root folder and all subfolders..
I need to understand what problem you are specifically having and what you can and cannot do. Are these all local files and folders stored on the machine you are logged into?

Reaction score
Some of my systems have been showing a lock on the Documents folder. I really haven't tried to find out why but I will later today. I will also check sharing options.

Ask a Question