SOLVED Formulas in Open Office

Reaction score
I have just had computer probs and everything gone, I use Open office as it is free, and mainly use their spreadsheets.
I use it to record my ten pin bowling scores, each week, I have columns for each game, sub total, then total, then Average,

I have all the formulas in,,, and using the =average(,,,,;,,) for the last , but it will not round up, will say 175.1, but needs to be 176.

any help would be great,, thank you
Roxane

Reaction score
In Excel [Average(num1, num2, num3, ...)] gives this:
"=AVERAGE(88.33, 93.71, 78.21, 65.18)" for an answer of "81.3575"​

And if you want the answer rounded up you have to use roundup function [ROUNDUP(number, num_digits)].
"=ROUNDUP(AVERAGE(88.33, 93.71, 78.21, 65.18),0)" for an answer of "82"​

Open Office should work similar.

Reaction score
In Excel [Average(num1, num2, num3, ...)] gives this:
"=AVERAGE(88.33, 93.71, 78.21, 65.18)" for an answer of "81.3575"​

And if you want the answer rounded up you have to use roundup function [ROUNDUP(number, num_digits)].
"=ROUNDUP(AVERAGE(88.33, 93.71, 78.21, 65.18),0)" for an answer of "82"​

Open Office should work similar.

thank you Clifford for your reply,,, I have tried your solution, but still cannot get that to work,,, I know I had $ signs in the last one,, not sure what that means of course lol... thanks,,,

Reaction score
In Office (XL) 175.456 (Formula =ROUND (cell#), 0 should round the cell# to 175 (0 DECIMAL PLACES)

Last edited:
Reaction score
XL.PNG

Reaction score
That is not what the TO wants. everything smaller than 0.49 is rounded down, everything greater than 0.5 is rounded up to the next higher full number.
If I understand correctly this is what is suppose to happen:
If a number is greater than the full number (e.g. 175.01) it is suppose to round UP to the next full number (e.g. 176).
I have tried with Excel 2010 to find a solution but am no closer than everybody else here....

I wonder if it can be done with a conditional formula as in [ if x > x+0.n,then x=x+1 ]...

wow, my 1000st post.....

Reaction score
thank you Clifford for your reply,,, I have tried your solution, but still cannot get that to work,
I just installed Open Office to see what was different in the formulas. The key difference between MS Office and Open Office is MS Office uses comma [ , ] and Open Office uses a Semicolon [ ; ] as a separator in formulas.

This should work for you [ =ROUNDUP(A1;0) ]. Replace "A1" with the Average formula, cell reference, or the specific number you want rounded up. The 0 represents the number of digits to round the answer to.

Reaction score
Sad to say, I've lost my expertise with XL. As the saying goes "If you don't use it you lose it.
Grizzly you are correct about rounding up. If the OP want's to play around with the formula hopefully may find something they can live with.
Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I just installed Open Office to see what was different in the formulas. The key difference between MS Office and Open Office is MS Office uses comma [ , ] and Open Office uses a Semicolon [ ; ] as a separator in formulas.

This should work for you [ =ROUNDUP(A1;0) ]. Replace "A1" with the Average formula, cell reference, or the specific number you want rounded up. The 0 represents the number of digits to round the answer to.
Thank you Clifford, and everyone, that has fixed the problem.. roxane

Reaction score
You should see some of the formulas I create at times. I've actually nested formulas to the point of giving errors for being too long. I love playing around in Excel. I've even programmed a little bit in Visual Basic for Applications and made forms in Excel. I wish I could do that in Open Office and Libre Office. As far as I know there is no behind the scenes programming in them. I could be wrong about that though.

Ask a Question