SOLVED CD will not open

Reaction score
when a CD is inserted in my lap top it is not reconised and cannot be opened, have checked the settings to auto start, and to Microsoft Media, Ask Me, but no responce !. Is there any other settings i am unaware of ? Any help please.

Reaction score
If you are trying to open a file on the CD, insert it into the laptop, then start File Explorer, find the file and double-click it.

Ben

Reaction score
If you are trying to open a file on the CD, insert it into the laptop, then start File Explorer, find the file and double-click it.

Ben
If the CD is not even recognized, how is he suppose to access the files on it?
Have you even read the TO's statement??

@Walter Ashton
Does the CD even spin (can you hear it)? I would try this: Go into the device manager and search for the CD/DVD drive, then right click and uninstall it. Let the Laptop look for the drive again (Scan for hardware changes).
If the drive cannot be found, it is most likely the drive is bad and needs replacing.
Let me know what you could find out...

Reaction score

Ben
I am trying to open the CD, the compuetr does not identify the CD to open and show the files. !!

Reaction score
If the CD is not even recognized, how is he suppose to access the files on it?
Have you even read the TO's statement??

@Walter Ashton
Does the CD even spin (can you hear it)? I would try this: Go into the device manager and search for the CD/DVD drive, then right click and uninstall it. Let the Laptop look for the drive again (Scan for hardware changes).
If the drive cannot be found, it is most likely the drive is bad and needs replacing.
Let me know what you could find out...

Yes the CD spins but that is all !! will try the device manager now and hope !!

Reaction score
Does the ODD/Optical Disc Drive show in File Explorer if a disc is in it? The default is not to show the drive until a disc has been inserted/placed in the tray. Could be the cable to the motherboard is bad, disconnected or just needs to be reseated at both ends. My biggest problem with ODDs is the tray opening mechanism quits working.

Reaction score
Hi Walter,

is the CD drive showing in Device manager?:

upload_2018-12-24_7-38-46.png

:):):)

Reaction score

Ben
This does not work either when the disc is inserted, I cannot find any trace of the disc drive, could this be a windows update that has gone wrong ?

Reaction score
This does not work either when the disc is inserted, I cannot find any trace of the disc drive, could this be a windows update that has gone wrong ?
Does the ODD/Optical Disc Drive show in File Explorer if a disc is in it? The default is not to show the drive until a disc has been inserted/placed in the tray. Could be the cable to the motherboard is bad, disconnected or just needs to be reseated at both ends. My biggest problem with ODDs is the tray opening mechanism quits working.
The disc drive is built in with no cable connction, not shown in FILE EXPLORER, and cannot find any trace of the cd dive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)
OR
simply click the start button and type cmd Command Prompt will appear at the top of the list that is produced, right click that and choose "Run as Administrator" and copy and paste the following into the Command Prompt window
Code:
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
Hit ENTER
Close the command prompt window and restart your computer and test to see if that made any difference.

Reaction score
Try cleaning the disc or see if a different disc gives the same result.

Ben
Many thanks for your support.
However, I have run Windows Toolstation again and it identified a problem this time and clicking on Fixit it seemed to have resolved the problem and the disc eventually ran OK.
Thanks again,
Happy New Year to you, all the Best,
Walter

Ask a Question