SOLVED Firefox Will not open.

Reaction score
:(I have an annoying and very frustrating problem that has been with me for almost 12 months.

I currently use 5 alternative browsers as I can not get the browser of my choice (Firefox), to play ball and open.
Browsers currently being used, microsoft Explorer,Opera, Edge, Waterfox, Vivaldi.

My problems with Firefox started some time ago, as the browser would not open whatever I tried, including re installation some 17 times to date.
I made a new profile, using safe Mode with internet connection and it still refuses to open.

I have noted that even as there appears to be a full installation in programs, there is no mention of Mozilla Firefox in Task manager.

Has anyone any idea what is causing this cock-up?

Reaction score
It could be the Waterfox cause it uses the same profile as Firefox (BTW: there is a 64bit version of Firefox).

Reaction score
I really can not relate to your problem. I am a Firefox user and have had no issues with Mozilla at all. I would suggest, however, that you remove all previous Firefox downloads and then download the current version which was just now updated.

Side note: you should definitely see Firefox in Task Manager.

Hope you can resolve this issue shortly and with no pain.

Reaction score
Grizzly: Worth considering. Thanks.I was using x64 bit version.

Dustywoodworker: Neither have I had trouble for last 6/7 years either. However, I have to say not a fan of set up of the last 2 years. It previously was "Trouble Free" and better facilities overall, more in tune with the public's requirements.

Since it went down, never seen it in Task Manager.

As for removing Firefox, done that, been there, got the T Shirt 17 times.

Reaction score
Is this problem persisting on the same computer that you have been using? Just thinking out loud. Looking for an explanation for the change in performance. Have you introduced any new, major applications tyo your setup?

I am a believer that "all bad things are caused". They don't JUST HAPPEN!

Reaction score
Have you tried uninstalling and deleting the folder that contains the firefox profile and extensions? c:/users/(your user name)/app data/roaming/mozilla/firefox. You could try deleting the profile folder.

You'll have to unhide hidden folders in folder options.

894563456.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
:DThanks for your input,BigFeet. Yes I have. But many thanks for the input.
I have cracked it at last, after all this time. In fact, I am currently replying to you on Firefox.:p

The problem lay in the fact that some time ago my computer name (the name listed with the system put on by myself originally) had been changed for some unknown reason by an Microsoft update to something different.

Therefore, it appeared to not be recognized by Mozilla Firefox hence this messed everything up, including the profile which I have now changed back to the original.
It is looking promising again.

Many, many thanks to you all for your helpful input.:rolleyes:
ps; Now working and showing up in Task Manager.

Last edited:
Reaction score
he he! It's gone again. Not to worry, I will get rid of Firefox as there are so many people on the Internet having the same problem. Just not worth it. i will use Opera instead.

Spoke too soon, did I not.:(

Reaction score
So now you will have a computer that at one time would not work and you don't know why. You change to another browser and "all looks well". BUT, you still don't know what made your computer not work before. You blame the browser. I use Firefox and have for years. No complaints. Good luck.

Reaction score
Sums it up my friend. Lucky you. I am not alone with this problem and have checked everything I know to try to solve this problem, as have others. the only other thing not done is to delete and re-install the Microsoft system.
Needless to say, because of the amount of work and time involved, it is NOT at the top of my list when I have to hand, other browsers that do not give trouble.

Started on DOS and took up Firefox with XP, good old days when Gook fiddling and twiddling with system experimentation was not the way of things, as it is today. Used Firefox ever since up to 12 months ago when system for the browser was changed again and lost interest overall due to continuous problems cropping up.

As previously mentioned, plenty more browsers out there.The only reason I mentioned my problem on this forum was in the hope that maybe some one might have a solution that I had not previously tried or heard of. Tried checking my system with sfc, scannow,Dism etc,etc; nothing showing up adversely.

Simply, friend, I have turned into a Microsoft Windows 10 wonder system basher, due to the number of problems received and I have had to sort out and correct with this recent Microsoft offering from hell, problems totalling in excess of the total amount encountered of all the problems encountered with other versions of Microsoft, and it is still going on.
Good luck to you also.:D

Reaction score
As a long-time user of Firefox I haven't seen the same problems. Might try right-clicking the Firefox icon in the Start list and choose More then Run as administrator. If it ever opens click Help, Restart with add-on disabled. Or try Firefox in its Safe Mode.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode

As for Task Manager, if a program doesn't open it shouldn't show in the left column under Apps. But it might show under Background Processors in which case it may be closable with End Task then try again.

As additional alternates I have Pale Moon, SeaMonkey [which includes an E-Mail Client] and Vivaldi available.

Reaction score
Hi Bighorn.
I have a feeling that my problems with all this came off the back of one of Microsoft's updates. Which one, I have no idea. Back in time to between now and 12 months ago.

I was nearly always running in Admin mode with Firefox.
i have used Safe Mode with Internet several times in an endeavour to get this sorted, to no avail. If I managed to get a response at any time in safe Mode, it did not work in normal mode.

Task Manager situation is a complete mystery to me. Surely, when files of a downloaded program appear to all be in place in the appropriate file system (x64-Program File), why is the program not listed in the Task Manager, irrespective as to whether program is not running. If not there, how to remove/delete/ stop any process.

Additionally, it does not appear under "App History", "Details", or Processes. Beats me.:confused:

Reaction score
Task Manager situation is a complete mystery to me. Surely, when files of a downloaded program appear to all be in place in the appropriate file system (x64-Program File), why is the program not listed in the Task Manager, irrespective as to whether program is not running.
As the name implies Task Manager is showing tasks that are running with the key word being task [or job being performed]. The location of a program in \Program Files [for x86 and x64] or in \Programs Files (x86) only means the program is installed, doesn't have to be actually running until called upon such as clicking its icon or double-clicking its .exe/executable file.

But since this thread is marked as Solved we must be done with it.

Reaction score
:) Hi Trouble.
I have Revo Uninstaller Pro and unfortunately, still no joy on that front.
17 times deleted and re-installed, CCleaner, PrivaZer, additionally used after.
C/Users/Name/App Data/Loca/Roaming, all cleaned out EACH time.
No change, "Status Quo" each time.

Bighorn.
Thanks. Unlocked.

Reaction score
I have just tried to re-install Firefox, this time I went into Safe Mode + Internet and downloaded version x64 via Safe mode.
I was able to sign in from there and refresh etc, additionally, cleared add-ons etc.
When this had been completed, I restated my computer.
After re-start, and when all had settled down, I tried Firefox, in admin mode, result, Firefox still would not start up.
Back to square one.

Reaction score
I've used firefox since it was firebird, and I've never seen this issue. I'd almost think something is corrupt in windows. Try this for giggles. Create a new user account in windows and try installing firefox there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've never seen this issue
Agreed. I've used it forever and never ran into this type of issue.

It's almost like there is some third party software, perhaps an over zealous security program that has somehow blacklisted the executable and is preventing it from running.

IF you boot back into Safe Mode with Networking..... does it start and run OK??

Create a new user account
Good idea.
Just create a new local account as a member of the local administrators group and see if it's a global problem or just specific to your user account.

Last edited:

Ask a Question