Office 2010 will not open in Windows 10

Reaction score
I have been using Windows 10 for a year or so on the beta test and updated my ASUS main PC recently when MS released Win10. Just yesterday after 1 few trouble free weeks I cannot now open my Outlook 2010 on my Asus Laptop. It works just fine everywhere else.. Has this been an issue. or is it just me?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First I've heard that is specific to Outlook.
Does the rest of the office suite seem to open and function without issue?
There were a bunch of updates this past Tuesday, which included office updates perhaps that might be part of the problem.
Reboot your computer.
Right click the Start Button and click Run and type
outlook /safe
hit enter or click OK.
Pick your profile and see if Outlook opens in safe mode.

Reaction score
First I've heard that is specific to Outlook.
Does the rest of the office suite seem to open and function without issue?
There were a bunch of updates this past Tuesday, which included office updates perhaps that might be part of the problem.
Reboot your computer.
Right click the Start Button and click Run and type
outlook /safe
hit enter or click OK.
Pick your profile and see if Outlook opens in safe mode.
==================================
Trouble;

I had tried to uninstall and reinstall and could not even do that. I did open Excel and it opened OK, but I did not use it at all. Then I rebooted and tried to REPAIR, again nothing worked.

Then I saw your email and I rebooted and started outlook as you suggested and it is now open in the SAFE MODE.

What do I do now?

Thanks much,

Jay Hines

Sent from Windows 8RT Pad

Reaction score
Additional info:
Excel is not responding when I tried to open a file...
Word and Power Point seems OK as I opened a file..
Publisher opened OK but could not connect to my printer.

What do I do next? Uninstall the Tuesday updates???

Thanks much,
Jay Hines

Reaction score
I have tried to use the other Office 2010 components (Excel, Word, PPT, Publisher) and none of them are working correctly. They work OK and then crash as non responsive. I did open Outlook in the safe mode and it seems to work OK. I then shut it down and reopened it and it worked like it used to until I moved an email into a different folder and then it crashed.

Again I tried to uninstall Office and reload from disk, but it will not do that. Windows 10 has turned into a demon. I may just go back to 8.1 until I can reliably use Win10...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally speaking when an application within the office suite works when it is opened with the /safe switch but not when opened normally, there is usually a plug-in responsible.
It could be and often is a product of third party software (PDF, antivirus / security suite, addins or plugins).
As the /safe switch keep them from loading they seem to work fine in that state but as soon as you retry starting them normally the addin loads and wreaks havoc.

Reaction score
OK. But why did it just start after it had been working just fine since I updated to Win10 a few weeks ago? Would it possibly help if I delete the Tuesday update for Office stuff? Now that I think about it, it was working just fine until Wednesday of this week and that is when it all started and I did a restore for this exact issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wish I had a definitive answer for you but I don't.
My guess would be that the update(s) included in the most recent batch last Tuesday included several security related updates for my Office Suite (2013) and I assume your version as well, so.........
Those updates resulted in addins that previously functioned without issue to suddenly cause problems.
It probably has nothing to do with Windows 10 or any update related to the OS, but rather updates that targeted the Office Suite you have installed.
Uninstalling those might be quite the project and the issue will only return when the updates install again.
Your best bet is finding the addin to the Office Suite that is causing the problem and uninstalling or disabling it.
Back in the day, Norton AV was famous for this as was one or two pieces of PDF software

Reaction score
Thanks so much.. I will just keep plugging away and I think I will remove the updates to Office as all worked Ok until then.

Reaction score
I wish I had a definitive answer for you but I don't.
My guess would be that the update(s) included in the most recent batch last Tuesday included several security related updates for my Office Suite (2013) and I assume your version as well, so.........
Those updates resulted in addins that previously functioned without issue to suddenly cause problems.
It probably has nothing to do with Windows 10 or any update related to the OS, but rather updates that targeted the Office Suite you have installed.
Uninstalling those might be quite the project and the issue will only return when the updates install again.
Your best bet is finding the addin to the Office Suite that is causing the problem and uninstalling or disabling it.
Back in the day, Norton AV was famous for this as was one or two pieces of PDF software

How would I go about detecting the Office add-ons and disabling them?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Don't remember in 2010 version but in 2013 version you just use
File -> Options -> Add-Ins Click the "Go" button you may have an option to switch from COM Add-Ins to All Add-Ins using the drop down arrow

Ask a Question