Open Office downloading problem

Reaction score
After new hard drive was installed, the version of windows 10 I now have will not install Apache Open Office because Microsoft visual C++ 2008 blocks the files from installing. Not sure what MS visual does or if it is needed for my computer use. Would like some ideas how I can overcome this problem. Thank you.

Reaction score
I would try two things.
First can you uninstall Apache Open Office? Is it visible if you go to Control panel -> uninstall a program.

I note that I have Visual C++ 2012 and 2013 installed. ( The redistributeable stuff of course not Visual studio) one is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit. Some parts of Windows and MS Apps must use them. But I don't have the 2008 version. Do you have any oldish pre W10 apps on your PC?

Try installing Libre Office. Same as Open Office but it installed with no problems on my W10.

Reaction score
I thank you so much for your reply. I am a medium home computer user and can get stumped. In my case while waiting for a possible answer to my question I continued to do research on my problem I stumbled across a comment I decided to try. I thought I had a link to the developer, which I didn't. Followed the advise and linked to the correct website and the first box said "configuring visual C++2008 for open office". The install went smoothly and am now up and working. The moral to my issue would be make sure you use the correct site for better results.

Ask a Question